Question: Water Softener

melbell

Reaction score
Country
United States
First post here! :talker: I saw an Axolotl in a science textbook in middle school and have always thought it was the cutest animal on the planet (besides pandas :happy: ), and recently decided to look into what it would take to keep one...doesn't sound as daunting as I had assumed it would be....but I do have several questions.

The one for this post is in regards to my water softener. Just bought a house with a whole house water softener. I have no previous experience with a water softener, and my searches on this forum and others have informed me that I should get my water BEFORE it goes through the softener because the axies prefer water a bit hard.

My water softener does not have a pre-softener spigot (that I can find) where I can easily get unsoftened water, but there is a valve like this one, that can be pressed in to bypass the softener altogether.

Does this mean I need to bypass the softener for the whole house each time I need water for my tank? I'm worried that repeated use of this valve could somehow wear it out? Maybe that's dumb? I really have no idea. Otherwise is there anything I can add back into the softenened water so that I don't have to worry about bypassing the softener?

Or maybe this is really a question for a handyman that installs water softeners?

Attachments

• bypassvalve.JPG
    bypassvalve.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,377
As far as I know, the hardness of the water isn't as big an issue as some seem to believe. I've seen axolotls kept in both soft and hard water with very little difference in between. My water supply is a bit on the hard side, but it doesn't seem like it effects him very much. For a while I had to used bottled water (dang water company slipped up with the chemicals!), and it was softer than the usual tap, but there was no noticeable change between how he acted with the hard water in the tank than when I had to use soft bottled water.

The problem with the water softener isn't the lack of hardness. The water softener is an ion exchanger: it takes out minerals and replaces them with sodium. So you lose those beneficial minerals and get slightly-salty water. I don't know how much salt you get added, that depends on how hard the water is to start with.

It's possible that an axolotl would be OK in softened water, I don't know for sure. A little salt doesn't hurt them, some people add aquarium salt to their tanks. But it sure seems like a waste of energy to take out the good minerals.

Regarding the diverter to get un-softened water, I think you'd need to ask a plumber or handyman.

That makes sense. I am not so concerned with the salt being added (because it's a negligible amount)... But more concerned about what's being removed. If there's something I can buy to add what they need back in I would rather do that than fiddle with that bypass valve every time I do a water change.

Furthermore I would be surprised if our outside spigots get softened, but with the winter weather already upon us I'm not sure if I can really use those spouts.

Hi,

I am looking for installing water softener in my house. I have been trying to find the best options.

I have tried various online websites to know the reviews about the best water softners thewatersoftener.com but still confused as all the water softners has mixed reviews.
Any recommendations from your end??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back