Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What are the basics of Axolotl care?

Moon

Reaction score
Hello! I’ve been interested in getting an axolotl recently! I’ve been doing research on how to take care of them, set up tanks, etc. but I’d like to know from axolotl owners the basics of caring for an axolotl, Dos and Don’ts, specific tips, etc. I plan on just getting one axolotl from a place in my area that sells them.

nina89

Reaction score
This site will have almost everything you need to know http://www.axolotl.org/

Here is some of the basics i tell buyers:

Make sure you cycle your tank before purchasing your axolotl which means you will need a freshwater master test kit for setup and ongoing care.

1 axolotl needs 2ft of space, 1ft extra for each extra lotl (as a general guide only as tank widths vary)

Do not use gravel or any other items like rocks less then aprrox 1.5x the size of the axolotls head or your risk harming your axolotl. However sand is okay.

Have plenty of hides for your axolotl and use low lighting if any.

Feed on average every 2 days for adults as much as they like just keep an eye out that they don't over indulge. Their tummy should be about as wide as there head as an indication, too much bigger then you are over feeding.

They should only be housed with other axolotls with the exception of some feeder fish breeds (after quarantine period).

xxianxx

Reaction score
Water quality and temperature are the main priorities. It doesnt matter what else you do if these peramiters are not correct axolotls suffer and die. Most of the sick , dead or dying axolotl in this forumn are down to the failure of keepers to maintain acceptable conditions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!