Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Colours :/

inkozana

Reaction score
I have been looking in different petstores (not to buy) and I have seen that black and golden albino are very common.
I read on the axolotls genetics page that there are lots of different colours even if they do look similar.
Also one petstore is selling a black one for more than a white one where as all the others sell their axolotls for the same amount no matter the colour.

Which colour is most common and which colours are rarer..? I own two golden albinos and a leucistic.

WATERPUPPY

Reaction score
Thay Mostly Sell Black For More At Stores Lke Pet Wise But The Reson Is You Can Find White Olive And Albino Every Where And Black Is Different

Kriltex

Reaction score
Since your in australia, you probably know about the pet store 'Strictly Aquariums', My local Strictly aquariums store sells all colours of axos for $30 AUS dollars each. ( Black, Golden, White, Pinkish ). Im guessing they are all common, if you want a rarer more unique colours, check in every thursday when they refresh their stocks and see if they are selling an axolotly with distinctive colour markings along its body or on its head, they are one of a kind ^^ Hope this helps

inkozana

Reaction score
Unfotunately I've never heard of that store, but I'll google it and see if there is one close by.
I love going into new pet stores and seeing what they sell.

Edit: It seems that store is only in Sydney :(
However next time I'm down there I'll have a look :D

rastus

Reaction score
Re: Adelaide

Hi guys.
I live in Adelaide and it seems that it's pretty much the same here, Black and White are most common here, with the odd Golden. They are a bit hard to find but usually sell for about $30.
I saw one the other day that i havn't seen before. It was black but it was sort of two tone. The top half was dark black and the bottom was a lighter black (almost grey), and the two shades were seperated by a distinct wavy horizontal line. I'm going to have another look tomorrow and will most likely get it if it's still there.

Lisa

Reaction score
If anyone has seen or knows of anywhere in Perth that they've seen leucistics, I'd love to know.

ianclick

Reaction score
Firstly I agree with Stef,

Waterpuppy your Grammar, sentence construction and constant capitalisation defies all the laws of the English Language. It also makes very little sense.

Colouration depends largely on the available breeding stock in your locale. In New Zealand we have alot of leucistics and Dark coloured wild types. There are some golden albinos, fewer albinos and even less Melanoids and as far as I know No Harlequins

infested

Reaction score
Re: Adelaide

Hi guys.
I saw one the other day that i havn't seen before. It was black but it was sort of two tone. The top half was dark black and the bottom was a lighter black (almost grey), and the two shades were seperated by a distinct wavy horizontal line. I'm going to have another look tomorrow and will most likely get it if it's still there.

LOL that's my bill!!! He's a cutie. I have an olive, leucstic and bill, my wild-type (two toneish).

I live in newcastle, and i have found it somewhat difficult to find leucistics and olives. I snatched them up as soon as i saw them. No hope for harlequins, anywhere in the world. I'd kill to have one of them :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!