Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is the easiest/cheapest method to a successful brine shrimp hatchery?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are many great threads about brine shrimp hatching on this site. I recommend you do a search on the subject.

SnotOtter

Reaction score
Inverted 2 liter drink bottles are my preferred method. The poor mans hatching cones. Its easier to aerate, clean, setup new batches and collect the shrimp while leaving the hatched capsules behind. I can post some pics of my setup if youre interested. I'd recommend doing some homework though. The more info you have the better chances of success.

Cheers

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I prefer the 2 liter soda bottle hatchery. The real trick is being certain to have good quality eggs that have been kept properly. Often cysts you get at a pet store are not in good shape.

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
I just mixed 11/2 tbs of aquarium salt to a half gallon water. Took about 8 cups of my salt water pinch of baking soda less than 1/4 tsp of bbs . Put in a 8x6 plastic container sturd it up. Put by window no light bulb or air pump. There hatching as i write it is slow. It has been 24 hours about 25% of the eggs hatched so far. It has been snowing here so not much sun. Plus its about 65 f 18 c by the window . Cant get to much cheaper no pump no light no electricity.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!