Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding terrestrial juvenile triturus marmoratus

whiteblaze11

Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of 2.5inch triturus marmoratus from a show and have just a few questions on feeding them. I do keep Kaiseri and several dart frogs so I have experience with amphibians but not terrestrial juveniles. I have Melano and Hydei fruit flies available along with some small phoenix worms. Im just worried that they will be not interested in the Hydei or the phoenix worms i place in a small dish. Are pinhead crickets good feeders? Any input or help would be great!

Stupot1610

Reaction score
At that size they should also be able to take small or chopped earthworms

otolith

Reaction score
When my group were small I fed them small earthworms, slugs and dusted crickets. My preferred food for all my animals is earthworms I dig out of my garden (which I know is pesticide/herbicide free). Worms are generally only available commercially in larger sizes but if you dig your own you can find tiny ones for even the smallest newts. A diet heavy with worms will ensure your animals get enough calcium for healthy growth.

whiteblaze11

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys! I have access to Hydei fruit flies which are the same size as small crickets and will be dusted with calcium plus, the same stuff i use for my darts. How small to the earthworm bits need to be, these guys are so tiny. Also finding worms from the garden will be tough here since there is still a lot of snow cover here in Michigan.
I know one has eaten some of the phoenix worms i placed in the dish for them but worried about the other.
They person i bought them from said he was feeding them bloodworms since they were aquatic but i know you are suppose to keep them terrestrial till the are about one year old.

cso

Reaction score
My T marm is about 4 inches long and I'm afraid that it will choke on small earthworms. It looks so small to me. Should I just put some small worms in its enclosure and let it naturally choose to eat?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1