Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fridging fire belly, please help

loublue

Reaction score
Hi! My fire belly is constipated, I think. She has been for a long time now. I've tried giving her paraffin oil this last week to see if that would help from recommendation from a vet (phone call, no vets in the near) but it hasn't. I can't find any decent information about fridging fire bellies, it's mostly about axolotls. Do the same rules apply for fire bellies?

She's completely aquatic, if that matters.
Could I maybe have a plastic container with a little water in it and a cloth on one side so she can choose if she wants to stay in or out of the water? Or should I have the soaked cloth only. I'm feeling kinda lost when it comes to these small details.

Very thankful for anyone who wants to give me some advice. :happy:

AuSu

Reaction score
What did you decide and has there been any progress? I've been following this thread to see if your newt gets better or if somebody answers but it seems nobody has good advice in this case - neither do I. I hope things are better already!

loublue

Reaction score
What did you decide and has there been any progress? I've been following this thread to see if your newt gets better or if somebody answers but it seems nobody has good advice in this case - neither do I. I hope things are better already!

I decided that since I didn't know exactly how to go about it but read that it would be added stress to the newt I'd wait and see instead. And nothing has really changed. She doesn't get worse and behaves completely normal, so I don't think she's suffering. So for now I'll just let it be.

If I decide to fridge her in the future I'll update this thread and let people know how I did it and how it worked. Thank you for caring as well!

ElaineCheeko104

Reaction score
loublue,
I did a search on constipation and discovered some information.
One post said to vary the diet with blackworms and earthworms.
Another post said to check out the Caudata Culture Articles on Illness and Bloat.
I'm new to newt, salamanders and axolotl's. I'm still reading posts and learning about each of these.
I hope that this information helps and that your newt feels better soon.

loublue

Reaction score
loublue,
I did a search on constipation and discovered some information.
One post said to vary the diet with blackworms and earthworms.
Another post said to check out the Caudata Culture Articles on Illness and Bloat.
I'm new to newt, salamanders and axolotl's. I'm still reading posts and learning about each of these.
I hope that this information helps and that your newt feels better soon.

Thank you for helping (and everyone else)! I read similar stuff, which is why I've fed her mainly earthworms now and she's handling it very well. The cloaca remained the same size but it doesn't seem to bother her. Sorry for the late reply, been busy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1