Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl pacing

AshaLeelan

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I hope someone can help me out with this odd lotl behavior. I have had my axolotls for a few weeks now and lately the male has been pacing the 30 inch wall from one end to the other and digging a trench as he goes. Is there something wrong with him or is he just being strange ;) ? He doesn't do it 24/7, but fairly often.

Cacique

Reaction score
Sounds like he's just scoping out the tank. My axolotl did this a lot in his 10 gallon tank while he was a juvie and now that he's grown and I put him in a 55 gallon you can really see how much they move in the tracks they leave in the sand.

mewsie

Reaction score
If you've only had him a little while - have you made sure the tank is fully cycled by testing the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? What about the water temperature?

I mostly want to agree with Cacique though - juveniles especially can be quite active, so just make sure the water parameters and temperature are ok (warm temperature usually means more active), and that everything else seems alright (appearance, eating, pooping etc).

As with any critter, it's all about you learning what is 'normal' for him, then you only have to start stressing about anything thats different or new ;)

Or to summarise… they're just weird sometimes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!