Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My piebald axolotl or harlequin?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I quit calling it a blotched wild type and am now calling it piebald. I could almost be talked into calling it a harlequin. It is about 6" long.

Attachments

• DSC_0095.jpg
    DSC_0095.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 4,647
  • DSC_0112.jpg
    DSC_0112.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,734
  • DSC_0103.jpg
    DSC_0103.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 4,458

michael

Reaction score
Re: My peibald axolotl or harlequin?

I wasn't going to post this one because of the dirty tank. It shows his face pretty well.

Attachments

• DSC_0097.jpg
    DSC_0097.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 4,198

oceanblue

Reaction score

I think there is enough orange and white on this to justify the term harlequin so I'm prepared to talk you into using the term. I do not think harlequins need to look exacly like the famous cover picture. Different harlequin circus clowns all have their own costumes, they are all harlequins but none are identical!

I have to declare an interest. I've got some heavily marked genetically leucistic babies which seem to be retaining their colour. They don't look like this one, the colours are more a fine stippling than bold patches.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

The coloration reminds me of a mosaic, which then started me looking at the condition mosaicism. I really wish I could understand what I read more :rolleyes:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

It´s either mosaicism or piebaldism. Mosacisim can express itself in the form of a harlequin, where various colours are mixed, or it may look like piebaldism if it only affects melanocites. I guess without a DNA test is hard to know.

Rikkoshaye

Reaction score

I love seeing pictures of axies with neat color patterns... it makes me want one too someday! :D Thanks for sharing. :)

benh

Reaction score
What a beautiful Axolotl! I think that's the most pleasing colouring I've seen to date :happy: I want one!

*Edit - Go with Harlequin. It sounds so much cooler, lol.

Bette

Reaction score
I know that this is an ancient thread, but I want to know if you still have this axie and has the coloration changed at all?

Bette

Reaction score
So cool...

Nothing better than a rare type like this!

I know, right? I think the coloration on Michael's axie is so pretty.
And have you seen the pics of my Gem? I really like how he is developing. I've got some fairly recent pics in my photo albums.

michael

Reaction score
I had it for a year or two. It always seemed to be a slow eater and a little awkward. I think along with the odd patterns it inherited some bad traits.

I really like these oddball ones that seem to not have inherited any weak traits.

Attachments

• DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,145

Bette

Reaction score
michael;424224 I really like these oddball ones that seem to not have inherited any weak traits.[/QUOTE said:
Too bad the harlequin had some weak traits. :-(
Those pictured are the speckled gfp wild types, right? Yes, those are nice looking too!

Reaction score
I know this is an older post but I was reccommeded this from a person on facebook. Hopefully someone can help with the color? I've been calling it a wildtype but its tail is almost solid black. This one likes to hide alot and is quick the other photos I've taken are blurry so this is the best one.

Attachments

• 20150116_123355~2.jpg
    20150116_123355~2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,225
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!