The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

Old 16th January 2020   #1
Tompa

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Tompa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello from an old newt lover.

I,m in NE England and first began keeping native newts and amphibians nearly 60 years ago. I also like reptiles and have one or two. My current collection is 6x Kaiser newts, 6x aquatic Chinese Firebellies + 1 terrestrial CFB, 1x huge Tiger salamander, 3x Montadons newts, I Fire salamander, 2x Marbled newts, 3x Japanese Firebellies, 1 Crocodile newt, 1 Paddletail newt, 4x Alpine newts. I also have a pond full of fish, 4x Firebellied toads, Slow worms, a Bearded dragon, a Giant madagascan day gecko and a Lurcher dog.
As you can guess a lot of my spare time is spent digging worms and cleaning vivs.
Happy newting, Jim.

Tompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2020   #2
Auli
(AuSu)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AuSu has given consistently good advice and informationAuSu has given consistently good advice and informationAuSu has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Hello from an old newt lover.

Welcome to the forum! I'm curious, do you keep your terrestial CFN in a separate, terrestial tank or is it staying on a cork bar in the aquatic tank? How long has it chosen to be terrestial?
Greetings from Finland :)

AuSu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2020   #3
MnGuy

Nationality:
Rep: MnGuy has shown reliable knowledge

Welcome. I'd love to keep more newts but truth be told, I don't love doing water changes on multiple tanks. Two-three tanks seem to be my limit, and I already have two -- one newt tank and one 10 gallon betta tank.

MnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2020   #4
Tompa

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuSu View Post
Welcome to the forum! I'm curious, do you keep your terrestial CFN in a separate, terrestial tank or is it staying on a cork bar in the aquatic tank? How long has it chosen to be terrestial?
Greetings from Finland :)
The terrestrial newt came with several others but seemed to dislike water from day one and would not leave the haul out even for food. I decided to try gently lowering it into the water but each time it would thrash around on the surface until it bumped into the haul out and climbed on. I have had it a few years and recently tried it with the aquatics again but as usual it would not swim. It lives on its own in a damp viv with a small soak dish but no swimming water. It eats small gut loaded crickets and small earthworms and hunts accurately like a lizard. It has developed a drier wartier skin over time and a more solid head/jaw. Long winded reply but I think that sums him up.
This newt told me what it needed by its behaviour so I tried to provide that. I,ve always tried to work that way with my amphibians/reptiles.
Cheers, Jim.

Old 17th January 2020   #5
Tompa

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGuy View Post
Welcome. I'd love to keep more newts but truth be told, I don't love doing water changes on multiple tanks. Two-three tanks seem to be my limit, and I already have two -- one newt tank and one 10 gallon betta tank.
Can I recommend Exo Terra vivs for some newts. They are perfect for terrestrials and a lot of the aquatics don,t need a large depth of water. I have several in different sizes and only 3 aquariums. I don,t do partials on the vivs, I strip, clean and reset them regularly. They are light to handle and have good access with the front doors and lift off lids.
Cheers, Jim.