The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 5th May 2006   #1
ian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have three tiger salamanders,two male one female,i hibernated them over winter in my garage then placed them in a semi aquatic set up. They entered the water straightaway and have stayed there for the last two weeks.My question is,how long should i allow them to remain in the water as no breeding seems to be taking place.They are feeding and seem quite happy. thanks, Ian

Old 5th May 2006   #2
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Tigers have only been successfully bred in captivity a few times. I doubt you'll get them to breed.

Old 5th May 2006   #3
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I would say that when your local temperature starts to warm up significantly, it would be a good idea to move them back to a terrestrial setup. If it were me, I wouldn't let the water temp go over about 20C. Some people have kept tigers semi-aquatic long-term, but the length of that "term" isn't always very "long", as they seem to be more prone to problems when in water.

It's still somewhat of a mystery why tigers haven't been bred in captivity often. It has been done, but more often the attempts have failed. I'm hoping to coax some information from someone who has succeeded. In the meantime, I wish you luck!

Tags
breeding, salamanders, tiger

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 12 (Set)

caudatakiin, DGK925, elKendo97, federnewt, Flynns, Jackulwulf, Jennewt, joejoe84, JoshBA, queenhood, seagull, Turtle guy