The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Old 11th August 2006   #1
mary

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i have been doing some reading but still confused!! how do you know when the male axie has fertilized the eggs? what if he doesn't want to- do females ever lay eggs without a male present ( tho' i am sure one of ours is def a male)

Old 11th August 2006   #2
anna

Gallery Images:
Comments:

From what I can gather, the male just lays his little sperm packets on the ground which could have been the little jelly globs u were talking about in your other post. The female walks over these and somehow draws them inside her. Then she lays fertilised eggs. Not sure wat ne of it is supposed to look like as the only info I have on the subject is from reading posts on here and a small book on unsual pets from a store. Hope it helps tho.

Old 11th August 2006   #3
alex

Gallery Images:
Comments:

anna is right. the male will lay sperm(little white cones of jelly stuff) then walk in front of the female while waving his tail vigoriously to draw her to the sperm then she picks them up and after about 24 hours lays the eggs on everything. eggs are clear on the outside with half white and half black on the inside.

Old 11th August 2006   #4
mary

Gallery Images:
Comments:

oh my goodness- that little tramp!! that explains the leftover jelly things yesterday... i thought they were still babies themselves- thought i had at least til next jan before adulthood expected let alone babes!
'fraid to say i have been removing most of the eggs as they have appeared. have left in about 12 so far...not sure what to do yet!

Old 11th August 2006   #5
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Eggs are not always half black/half white. If you have albinos, they'll be all white. Watch for development. It starts almost immediately, and you should see changes within a day or two.

If you don't want to raise the babies, leave 'em in the tank and mom and dad will eat them.

Old 12th August 2006   #6
mary

Gallery Images:
Comments:

my word the things that go on in that tank whil we sleep.....

Old 29th August 2006   #7
Andy Baker
(andrew)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 0
Rep: andrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.org

My female and male have been separated for almost one week now, but this morning my girl released 3 eggs. I am positive they are eggs. There is no chance they are fertilised is there?

andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006   #8
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

They could be. There have been reports of female fire salamanders retaining sperm for years.

Old 29th August 2006   #9
Andy Baker
(andrew)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 0
Rep: andrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.org

ok. thank you very much. The just a couple of other things though. She lays the eggs maybe 2-3 a day, each morning or over night (it has happened 2 days in a row now). Is this normal? Also I did not actually sight any spermatophores in the tank when they were together, but it is still possible there was, right?
Last thing: She also has not been eating a lot since being separated. Could this be because she is laying or trauma or anything else?

andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006   #10
vanessa

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Alex (the mum) took two days too. I suppose they take a little break from all of that egg laying.
The sperm packet looked like a mushroom cloud from a Nuke explosion. It looks wierd, I expected it to look like poop but it looks like a fluffy mushroom cloud.

Tags
dumb, question

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 14th February 2020, 15:26 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.