The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 20th May 2007   #1
Connor S
(connorsbala)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: connorsbala has started on the right path
Default Fungus?!

Okay, last night i noticed some sorta patches on my axies gills so i assume its fungus.
I got some interpet aqua tonic salt today and gave it a salt bath for 10 mins. It says to do 1 teaspoon for every 4 gals, the container it was put in was 2 litres so i did half a teaspoon obviously...do i need to increase it? How long will it take to come off as there is only a little on my axie!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SP_A0159.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	199  

connorsbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007   #2
Louise Selfridge
(louise)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 4
Rep: louise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.org

For two litres of water you shouls be using 5 or 6 teaspoons of sea salt.

louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007   #3
Connor S
(connorsbala)

Nationality:

Okay ill increase it..even though it says how much on the packet? Also,what could have caused the fungus too develop? Ive turnt off all airpumos and fans so theres no surface agitation. They are both eating so its not a major prob but i worry for the infected one!!!!

Old 20th May 2007   #4
Connor S
(connorsbala)

Nationality:

Okay ill be using 5 teaspoons of salt for 2 litres. Ill be doing th ebathing at 18:30 and 20:30, is this too soon or do i need to leave longer intervals?

Old 20th May 2007   #5
Connor S
(connorsbala)

Nationality:

Shall i get some anti-fungal stuff like pimafix and maybe a lil methylene blue to add to the salt baths...no the tank water

Old 20th May 2007   #6
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorsbala View Post
Also,what could have caused the fungus too develop? Ive turnt off all airpumos and fans so theres no surface agitation.
There are various possible reasons. What is the water temperature? (Note that it can be very different from the room air.) Is this animal picked on by its tankmate? Is the tank large enough, and getting enough partial water changes? Is there a filter? Some animals are more susceptible than others, so the other one not having fungus doesn't rule out tank problems.

The time interval is fine. I think the instructions on the salt you bought are for treating the whole tank, rather than for salt baths.

Last edited by Jennewt; 20th May 2007 at 19:38. Reason: added info
Jennewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007   #7
Connor S
(connorsbala)

Nationality:

I gave it another salt bath with 5 teaspoons of salt in 4 litres of water. There isnt any signs of improvement...is this normal or should it have gone down a lil bit.
Yes theres a filter. Just did water test and levels are fine. Well, he gets sorta picked on at feeding time where the other out compeites it but he gets plenty of food still. The temp is usually 19 but if its sunny itll go up to 20 and i will turn on the cooling fan where itll then drop,i have the fan on everyday for a few hours to lower the temp. I do a 25% water change every week but the substrate is sand so i cant really get the vac down into it to give it a good clean, i just have to go along the top.

Old 20th May 2007   #8
Connor S
(connorsbala)

Nationality:

Whoops didnt realise it was 5 teaspoons for 2 litres! I did 5 for 4 litres! Ill have to write that down so i dont forget 2moz!!!!!!!!!!! WIll this have stressed it or wont it have mattered?

Old 20th May 2007   #9
Connor S
(connorsbala)

Nationality:

Let me get this staright....ill need 10 teaspoons for 4 litres of water for the bath?

Old 20th May 2007   #10
Connor S
(connorsbala)

Nationality:

Ok,ive come to a conclusion to what ill be doing. Ill be doing 2 salt baths a day at 4 litres each holding 10 teaspoons of salt. If this doesnt improve within a week, ill get some methylene blue and do one bath of that aday with less than the recommended dosage. Can i mix the methylene blue in with the salt baths or would they need to be 2 seperate baths? If the fungus spreads onto the feathery parts of the gills, will she lose her feathers for ever or shall they regenerate?
PS sorry for asking sooo many qs but i want my axies to get better!!!!!!!!! :-(

Old 21st May 2007   #11
kapo
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: kapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorsbala View Post
Ok,ive come to a conclusion to what ill be doing. Ill be doing 2 salt baths a day at 4 litres each holding 10 teaspoons of salt. If this doesnt improve within a week, ill get some methylene blue and do one bath of that aday with less than the recommended dosage. Can i mix the methylene blue in with the salt baths or would they need to be 2 seperate baths? If the fungus spreads onto the feathery parts of the gills, will she lose her feathers for ever or shall they regenerate?
PS sorry for asking sooo many qs but i want my axies to get better!!!!!!!!! :-(

You need to give it time to work. Nothing works instantly. Start with the salt baths and see how you go before deciding to do something else

Even if the fungus cleared within 3 days, its always best to continue salt baths for at least a week after the fungus clears/drops off, as chances are it's likely to start up again.

The gills will regenerate, how fast depends on age of your axie. Adult/mature axies take much longer to regenerate.

Connor - You can use the edit button to amend/append (add) to your post within the hour of originally posting it.

Last edited by kapo; 21st May 2007 at 01:11.
kapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007   #12
Connor S
(connorsbala)

Nationality:

Gave him a methelyne blue bath today. Ill be doing one methylene blue bath then one salt bath aday

Old 22nd May 2007   #13
John
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Be careful with what fish medications you use. Some are fine for scaled fish but have a significant degree of toxicity for axolotls. Methylene blue should be ok but I wouldn't dose it at anything above 1/2 what they recommend for fish, and I'd stay closer to 1/4.

Old 22nd May 2007   #14
Connor S
(connorsbala)

Nationality:

Yeah thats what im doing..like 0.5 ml per 2 litre baths. Should i do one of them and one salt bath or 2 salt baths and the methylene blue bath?

Old 24th May 2007   #15
Connor S
(connorsbala)

Nationality:

Good news...the fungus seems to be clearing up!
touch wood lol

Tags
fungus