Question: Bubbles or foam building up near the filter

HeyJey

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I'm planning on getting two axolotls. I have had water in the tank for about a week and a half now, without any axolotls actually in it. I have noticed that there has been some kind of bubbles, or foam building up near and on the filter, is this something I should be concerned about and should I take action?

Another question. Do you have any tips on how to keep the water temperature consistently cool?

Thank you for the help in advance.

Attachments

• 20191015_190035.jpg
    20191015_190035.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 180
I think that's just air bubbles from the output, I just checked mine and I have some bubbles too.
What temperature have you been able to get it down to? A fan pointed at the surface of the water can drop it a few degrees but if you need to bring it down more you may want to invest in a chiller. They are expensive but you can sometimes find second hand ones. In emergencies you can use frozen water bottles, but since this can cause temp fluctuations I would only use it sparingly.
What lid do you have on the tank? If the water level is 20-30cm below the top of the tank you could go without a lid. Otherwise it's pretty easy to make a mesh cover. Having something open/mesh will help keep the tank cooler than an enclosed lid.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back