Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

She POPPED! shePOPPED! she POPPED!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
At that size they can certainly manage bloodworms, i´m already feeding small ones to my larvae and they are younger. You´ll probably have to hand feed at first, since with no movement they are unlikely to recognize it as food. Most larvae get used to them fairly quickly and will learn to "hunt" them by smell, which makes things easier because you just have to throw the bloodworms in.
My estimate of morph size was aimed a bit low xD However you have to consider that during metamorphosis, the animal usually suffers a small reduction in size (all the crests disappearing and all the energy used, usually make the morph look smaller). Yours seem to be going to have a very decent size when they morph, which is very nice. It makes everything easier.

I don´t have any data at hand, but it´s a well known fact that temperature, poblational density and food, play a role in metamorphosis sizes. Lower temps usually slow the process, but also allow larvae to grow larger (the extreme version of this is the aforementioned facultative neoteny which is favoured by low temps). Having lots of food around also increases the chances of bigger morphs. Low densities of larvae tend to have the same effect.

I have a question for you, have you seen any cannibalism or agression between the larvae? Mine look like they are waiting to be big enough to devour each other, i swear i saw one circling another :p

Molch

Reaction score
I have a question for you, have you seen any cannibalism or agression between the larvae? Mine look like they are waiting to be big enough to devour each other, i swear i saw one circling another :p

I have two larvae tubs, and one tub has the smaller larvae and a higher density. In that one, I have seen a few chopped tail tips and one or two bitten-off legs. They pretty much have ad-lib food, so I'm assuming it's over-eagerness during feedings. I will spread them out over two tubs this week since they are getting bigger.

The other, larger and older group is as peaceful as turtle doves, however...no missing body parts there so far.

Esnailme - thanks; those first two that died were among my very few casualties. They accidentally ended up in the Daphnia tub. The tub is shallow and aerated, so I doubt they died from O2 deprivation. I think it's the fine-powdered Daphnia food I put in there that did them in. It might have clogged up their gills....

Last edited:

Molch

Reaction score
some of my oldest larvae appear to start thinking about morphing. I've noticed their dorsal color becoming more of a slate-gray and their tails taking on a fleshier look. Also, they sometimes hang around on top of the plants near the surface.

What should I do? Start putting islands for them to climb on? How long will it take from the first hint of morphing until they actually come up on land?

Also, should I expect some losses during that phase? Will some of them maybe have trouble adjusting or some such?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Offer land areas right away. The process can happen very fast, in a few hours, so you don´t want to be taken by surprise with a tiny newt sticking to the glass.
There´s no real reason to expect any losses, but it could definitely happen. We have to remember that even in the sheltered and supereasy life of captivity, of all the eggs that a female lays, not all of them are meant to survive. Metamorphosis is one of those moments where the very weak are put to the test. Sometimes even the best looking ones suddenly die out. It is a trying time for all of them, however as i said, there´s no reason to actually expect losses, as it may well not happen.

Molch

Reaction score
aargh - two died today. They were two of those looking ready to morph. I have no idea why - I don't think they drowned; they had plenty of bushy plants and shallow water....temp was 63 F.

I scrubbed their tub and gave them new water and put in floating cork islands and more plants. I have over 20 larvae yet in 3 different tubs, so I'm not panicky, but now I do worry that I'm gonna screw up and have 'em all die...

Molch

Reaction score
I have my first complete morph! :D

I've had no more casualties after the ones that died last week. I assume it was a bacterial outbreak due to an over-cooked batch of brine shrimp maybe.

When I came back from a 3-day trip, I found the first real complete morph sitting under a thick moss cushion on one of the islands. See pics. Next day he was back in the water. I hope he'll stay aquatic; all the easier for feeding.

Attachments

• IMG_6026.jpg
    IMG_6026.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_6027.jpg
    IMG_6027.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 241

Molch

Reaction score
here some pics from this morning. So far only one morph; the others are still fat and larval, now approx. 5 cm long. Here they eat this a.m.'s breakfast of bloodworms.

Fat little buggers, I'm just unreasonably fond of them...

Attachments

• IMG_6009.jpg
    IMG_6009.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_6054.jpg
    IMG_6054.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_6067.jpg
    IMG_6067.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_6070.jpg
    IMG_6070.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_6072.jpg
    IMG_6072.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 215
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1