Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Visible red veins in tail

TheSaintPaddy

Reaction score

Hi

I've noticed that my female golden albino has clearly visible red veins in her tail, and her skin seems to be darker on her legs. Being a new axolotl owner, I don't know if this is normal or not. The temperature is a stable 18 degrees centigrade, and the water quality is as close to perfect as possible.

Is there anybody here who can give me some advice and let me know whether this is normal or not? Sorry for the lack of photos, as I don't have a camera or phone that can take decent pictures.

Thanks

Quentari

Reaction score
It might be bad lighting. My old golden albino used to be a lovely gold when the light was on but when it was off he looked a horrible orangey yellow :/ It might also be ammonia burn, although you say your water is fine. If the temp was higher it could be that she got too hot, but 18 is near perfect for axies.

TheSaintPaddy

Reaction score
That might be it. There's no light for the tank because it just caused the water to heat up, so the tank is a bit dark.
I also noticed that at some angles, here colour looks fine and you can't see any veins at all, so, as you said, it could just be a lighting thing. I really hope it's not an ammonia problem.

Quentari

Reaction score
Get an ammonia tester if you haven't already, and maybe shine a light on her for a moment just to see if it is the lighting? try using a torch. Just avoid shining it right in her eyes.

FX1C

Reaction score
Visible veins are a sign that water quality is not ideal...

When you say your water is close to perfect could you post the actual parameters & also what type of test kit you use (liquid/strip)
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Ph
These are all essential information needed to work out why the veins are showing.

I would remove this axolotl from the tank immediately & keep in fresh clean dechlorinated water - changed 100% daily until you see the veins disappear & you can be assured your tank is actually safe & not toxic.

<3 >o_o< <3

TheSaintPaddy

Reaction score

After shining a torch on her, she looked absolutely fine. I think it's because I had to get a new tank to separate her from her brother to stop them from breeding, and this new tank is in a slightly darker place in the room. I'm just not used to seeing her in a very low level of light, so it seems. The veins also seem less visible today as well.

I did a water test of both of their tanks last night just to be sure, and everything seemed normal. I can't remember the exact numbers, but I remember comparing them to other people's results on the forum just to be sure.

Thanks for the advice, guys. :D

FX1C

Reaction score

After shining a torch on her, she looked absolutely fine. I think it's because I had to get a new tank to separate her from her brother to stop them from breeding, and this new tank is in a slightly darker place in the room. I'm just not used to seeing her in a very low level of light, so it seems. The veins also seem less visible today as well.

I did a water test of both of their tanks last night just to be sure, and everything seemed normal. I can't remember the exact numbers, but I remember comparing them to other people's results on the forum just to be sure.

Thanks for the advice, guys. :D

What kind of test did you use?

It would be good if you actually posted the results... "Normal" is not helping anyone ascertain what's wrong.

To be honest I am skeptical that everything is "fine" with you axolotl all of a sudden. The fact that you saw veins was a clear indicator that something is wrong - by ignoring it you risk much worse problems & they will be more difficult to treat the longer they are denied as being an issue :-/

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!