Photo: Odd colour melanoid...

Awesome axolotl.

Be sure to keep posting photos as the axolotl grows older.

She's such a beauty, I love her coloration! If she didn't have the crooked spine, she would make an excellent breeder! :) Maybe, her parents will make some siblings similar to her in the future?

I'm no longer breeding the parents, due to how many spinal problems xxxianxxx had ~ but am going to try the mother with another male at the end of the year :)

That's sad about her father, but hopefully her mother is fine, and doesn't have that gene. I hope the mother's new babies will turn out perfectly healthy, and I would love to see if she produces anymore offspring that resemble this one. :)

I'm no longer breeding the parents, due to how many spinal problems xxxianxxx had ~ but am going to try the mother with another male at the end of the year :)

Just an update on my 'crooked' axie. I came home from work last week to find it had died. There were no obvious reasons for his death and his tankmates were showing no signs of distress or illness. I took him to a local exotics vet for an impromtu necropsy and in short the poor thing was as wonky inside as he was out and the internal malformations in his digestive system are what led to his death.

I know Phil is no longer breeding his crooked axies and I would strongly recommend that anyone else who may be tempted to breed such animals either for profit or just sheer curiosity refrains from doing so. My axie showed no outward signs of distress but given the level of internal malformation it cannot have had a comfortable life and I can think of no reason to breed creatures that you know are likely to suffer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back