Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma laterale and overfeeding/obesity risk

Reaction score
I collected a few blue-spots in the spring (in accordance with state laws). They've fed pretty voraciously, and they've grown close to adult size.

I've read elsewhere that ambystomids may run a risk for overeating and becoming obese. Is this true of blue-spots?

Either way, of course, I'll keep close watch on how mine look and how much they eat.

But if they do run that risk of getting overweight, I'll pay extra close attention, and I won't ever feel like I'm depriving them of food if they look like they don't need another meal and I don't give it to them.

Thanks!

blackmetal

Reaction score
When I was very young (5ish) I kept a wc one as a pet, for a while I fed wax worms which i would not suggest. Was very obese for a while. So yes I would say they would definitely eat themselves to obesity if allowed. Not hard to monitor though just look at how fat they are.

Reaction score
Thanks!

I'm keeping an eye on them, and they seem to be doing okay.

Now that the temps have cooled here, they're not eating quite as often--once every 4-5 days or so. And they're keeping weight but not getting plump. I usually feed them earthworms, but sometimes I give them small mealworms.

Reaction score
I collected a few blue-spots in the spring (in accordance with state laws). They've fed pretty voraciously, and they've grown close to adult size. I've read elsewhere that ambystomids may run a risk for overeating and becoming obese. Is this true of blue-spots? Either way, of course, I'll keep close watch on how mine look and how much they eat. But if they do run that risk of getting overweight, I'll pay extra close attention, and I won't ever feel like I'm depriving them of food if they look like they don't need another meal and I don't give it to them. Thanks!
Thanks!

I'm keeping an eye on them, and they seem to be doing okay.

Now that the temps have cooled here, they're not eating quite as often--once every 4-5 days or so. And they're keeping weight but not getting plump. I usually feed them earthworms, but sometimes I give them small mealworms.
All species run to risk of over eating and becoming obese, I seen YouTube videos of some pets that have a big belly and appear obese to me.. I feed mine an earthworm similar to their size about once a week, I've tried other meal type but my spoiled salamanders like the garden earthworms and turn away from live pet store insects, that I ended up feeding birds, instead of them dying(meal worms/super worms).. The only times mine will eat everyday is for two weeks leading up to their winter hibernation where they stay until spring, and they will take wax worms during this time. Their belly's do get larger, but once spring comes I can tell they grow a bit in length and lose the fatty bellies they had before their hibernation... Hope to have a healthy first breeding season this year as mine were breed in captivity and have finally reached reproduction maturity

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1704295728216.jpg
    FB_IMG_1704295728216.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 24
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1