Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello!

tundrabadger

Reaction score
I kept some newts while I was in highschool, and I've just recently gotten back in to amphibians with my very first axolotl... my thought process leading up was kind of hilarious, cause here I was with a tank, trying to think what to put in it, should I do a cold water fish set up? So for so on, and I think myself, "Man, I wish I could get an axolotl". And then it hit me "I'm an adult, if I have an adequate place to house it I can have any kind of pet I like". Asked my wife what she thought, and it was about the first time I've seen her take an interest in anything housed in an aquarium, so I found a breeder who was up for answering my questions and if i am being honest wound up referring to a great deal of posts here when i was setting up the tank. So I thought I would join up, the little guy is pretty delightful so I might wind up getting a bigger set up going and some more axies down the the road.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I have a feeling that you may have the Caudata bug :) I began with a pair of axolotl, thinking that they will be all I have, but soon picked up the bug. I now have a mini zoo of salamanders of various sorts.
I'm looking forward to hearing more about your axolotl, and maybe a few photos too.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I have a feeling that you may have the Caudata bug :) I began with a pair of axolotl, thinking that they will be all I have, but soon picked up the bug. I now have a mini zoo of salamanders of various sorts.
I'm looking forward to hearing more about your axolotl, and maybe a few photos too.

tundrabadger

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Oh, I think it would be fair to say I have the bug. I am slightly alarmed by how enthusiastically others have embraced it....my mother was over and she just kind of sat there in front of the tank going "You could get a bigger tank and breed them". In all fairness this is a partially grown leucistic, which is the bichon frise of the amphibian world, so I think she might have been having a cuteness priximity overload.

tundrabadger

Reaction score
picture.php

Chilling out, full of what he tells me is delicious worm, thinking about completely uprooting that fake plant. Again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1