Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Beginner Animal?

GrumpyMonk

Reaction score
Hey, so I was wondering if an axolotl is suitable for a beginner trying to get into the hobby. I've kept fish before, so I know all about cycling the tank, and I've done some research into axolotls to know that I really do want one, but I want to make sure it's the right pet for me. My job will sometimes have me gone for two weeks at a time, but I have family members that are willing to take care of it. So, I would like some opinions. Is this the right pet for me in my current situation? (If not, I'm also interested in fancy goldfish and betta fish.)

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
Sort of? They aren’t too terribly hard to take care of, but they are a much bigger commitment than a betta. Fancy goldfish and axolotls can live for decades, and axolotls may require care from a vet if they get ill.

GrumpyMonk

Reaction score
Okay. I am committed to taking care of an animal for a long time, especially if it has a lot of personality. Any tips to give for a keeper?

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
For an axolotl, the top tips I would have would be to keep the tank cool and to keep the tank clean. Axolotls like cold water also anything above 70° can stress them. Filters can also stress them out. If they get too stressed, it can compromise their immune system and lead to illness. That becomes a lot more likely if there is waste in the tank. Keeping good water quality is important because ammonia and the likes can harm the axolotl.

GrumpyMonk

Reaction score
Thanks! Super useful info! I have a couple of questions. How do you keep the water temperature lower then 70 degrees? What type of filter should I chose (I have a brand new sponge filter that I'm hoping I can use), and how often should I change the water, and to what percent? (Like 75% of the water or something like that.)

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
Sponge filter is what I use! It does a good job. And I do 20% water changes every few days but that’s just me. And I live in the mountains so my tank naturally stays chilled, but a lot of people use tank chillers, though I don’t know much about them. Some people use frozen bottles of water in the tank because it’s cheaper than a chiller, but it doesn’t keep the tank temperature as constant. Also, for the tank bottom, the two ideal choices are bare bottom or fine sand. If there is aquarium gravel, the axolotl can ingest it and get an impacted bowel.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Spend some time reading through the forum here, you'll find everything you need to set up a successful tank :D
Bare bottom or fine sand is great (don't use sand if you have a juvenile, up to a few cm long).
To keep water cool either a fan or chiller. A fan is great if you only need to drop it a few degrees, but it can fluctuate depending on the room temp. The most reliable thing is a chiller, especially if you live in a hot climate. They are fairly expensive, but worth it. You'll need to read up on the set us as they will need a pump to work (don't usually come with that) or be attached to a canister filter. Frozen bottles are a good emergency option but I wouldn't rely on it, as RoreyRoreyRorey said, it doesn't keep it constant.
For a filter a sponge one is great! I use one in addition to a HOB (hang on back) one. You can also use a canister filter. Avoid anything internal as they tend to heat the water a bit. Filters create a current at the output so a lot of people will tie a sponge to reduce water flow, or prop up some decorations.
I change my water once a week, about 20%, but it depends on your water parameters (any ammonia, etc, spike will need more water changes). I also spot clean every day (poop and uneaten food) which helps. They are really messy animals haha
Goodluck! :proud:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1