Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

"Gardener's Lime" in Top Soil

reignofterror

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked previously...

I use a mixture of Eco Earth and top soil for substrate for my tiger salamander. The bag of topsoil I was using was labelled as organic, and had no additives. Unfortunately I've been unable to locate the same topsoil again. I took a look at my local hardware stores and garden centers and all of the "organic" topsoil I found had some kind of additives in it. (Peat, manure etc).

I bought a bag of topsoil a while ago but noticed it has "gardener's lime" in it. Is this potentially harmful to my tiger salamander?

joemomma1016

Reaction score
I'm not sure what it is exactly, but it does change the pH of the soil, so I'd steer clear. I ran around to about 10 different stores just to find some regular old topsoil at lowes. They cost like $3 for a big bag, but cut it open and see if it smells/looks okay. If not, go to a field or some woods that are untouched with no pine around.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!