Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What do I do???- Baby axolotl!

patricia

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am an Axolotl owner but this is my first rodeo! I wasn’t planning on having these little guys until I seen the condition they were in before.

They are baby axolotls (like 1 inch long baby!) and I am housing them in containers like my research (2 weeks of reading about them) suggested. I am keeping them at room temperature, which is 20 degrees C.

I’ve got one baby that will not eat, and is really, REALLY thin. I’ve tried baby brine shrimp from my hatchery and I’ve tried cut up bloodworms. Nothing worked. It was bloated in the pet store (and looked dead, that’s why I took them both), but I put it in the fridge for 3 hours and cured everything.
THEN, I noticed just how tiny it looks compared to the other axolotl. It looks as if it is shedding its skin, and it is now forming around its gills.

Can anyone help me gain knowledge as to why the one axie isn’t eating and what’s going on with it???? (If anyone needs pictures let me know, I will take brand new pictures of them and post them.)

Last edited:

aalysaz

Reaction score
It could just be stressed. That would also explain the peeling of the “skin”; that’s its slime coat. The best thing you could do is to calm down and wait. Remember-axolotls are opportunistic hunters. Not eating for a couple of days will not kill them. Sometimes mine just don’t feel like eating...

Did you try daphnia? Maybe it’ll like that better.

I also have recieved two axolotl siblings where one was ~two inches smaller than the other, skinny and missing a limb. (It wasn’t the seller’s fault; long story). Just keep the water parameters healthy and it will get over it self and be fine. Mine has almost regrown its limb and is almost the same size as the other now (it’s been one and a half weeks).

patricia

Reaction score
I’m not sure, but the little one was in rough shape when I got it in the first place. I did everything I could to try and save it.

Attachments

• FEE31373-4A11-4CF9-9E00-BB39977A7F9A.jpg
    FEE31373-4A11-4CF9-9E00-BB39977A7F9A.jpg
    574.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 6AA860E9-1EE3-47CF-95AE-11781AE324C2.jpg
    6AA860E9-1EE3-47CF-95AE-11781AE324C2.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 114
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1