Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Snails?!

mifuneaxie

Reaction score
Hello, I just had a question on snails. I've had my tank set up for about two months and I've never seen any snails in there! I have two live plants but I made sure they were clean (guess not though) before I put them in and added my Axolotl after my tank was set up. Today, I was checking over the tank, looking for anything weird and I noticed two little black things on one of my plants! I pulled them off and they are two little snails. I had read that snails are bad, but are they really that bad and harmful to an axolotl? My axie has been fine and healthy since I got him! Should I take my plants out and quarantine them for a week? With what? Any help and suggestions would be great! Thanks.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The snails are probably transported to the tank via eggs left on the plants. Once established, they are very hard to fully eradicate. In terms of size, those small snails could make a good snack and i would not worry of impaction compared to other bigger snail types. However, as with all snails, they can carry parasites and toxins that can potentially pose a problem.

mifuneaxie

Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I'll keep a very close eye on the plants and my axolotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!