Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire belly newt stages - aquatic??

H

Helena

I just got my baby newt - he's 4 months old. I was told to not put deep water into his setup and make it mostly terrestrial, because he could drown. But I've also seen threads on here were people raise their efts aquatically. Is he too young to start breaking the terrestrial phase? I also read that it is easier to feed them aquatically and they grow much stronger that way. Do they just start swimming when they feel like it or do you have to "push" them to be aquatic?

Koolasuchus

Reaction score
I used to have efts that I raised from larval form, and when they were terrestrial, my tank had about 1 half centimeter of water, and large islands with ecocarpet, and small rocks. When they were ready to go into the water they did, and I put them into their aquatic tank. you may note that my efts seemed slightly larger than most, and you can adjust the level accordingly. I hope that this helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!