Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Tank Temperature

rich

Reaction score
Hello, havent posted anything on here for a while, but im just wondering. Now that its summer, my tank seems to get up to 22degrees, im floating ice in the afternoons, and later on in the evening to bring this temprature down. I also have a small desk fan angled down onto the waters surface to help reduce the temp, and keeping the lid off to allow evaporation without bringing up the humidity or temp by acting as a greenhouse. And also keeping the curtains closed to stop the sunlight heating up the water as much.

Now i no im doing all i can for the temp, but i was just wondering what happens to the axie at these tempratures? I know that they should be 19 or below, and 24 or above is deadly.... but could somebody explain the dangers of this and why it is so deadly?

Thanks and im just curiouse. My axie seems to be fine, never off its food lol :D

philbaker76

Reaction score
Re: Tank Temprature....

Hi mate, I think it just stresses them and makes them ill - I've heard of patches skin coming off (like a snake/lizard sheds) - but not heard much else.

gr33neyes

Reaction score

Rich as long as your axolotls are in good health and your water conditions are good a temperature rise of up to 24 degrees for a short period of time (day or two) should not cause any problems.

Carrying out regular small water changes will also help to keep the water fresh and cooler if only for a short while.

My tank temperature usually sits around 21 - 22 degrees during the hotter months, however it has risen to 24 degrees and my axolotls have shown no ill effects. I keep large bottles of frozen water on standby just in case it goes higher then that. Keep up your tank maintenance, feed them a good diet and enjoy your axolotls.

However warmer water + bad tank maintenance + bad diet = sickly axolotls swimming around in contaminated water that will be prone to fungus and disease . Bad husbandry leads to death of these creatures.

rich

Reaction score

Ok ok so it just promotes and aids in the biuld up of bacteia and fungus. Thanks guys i was just woundering, and also feel happier knowing that as soon as it gets too 24degrees my axie wont drop dead :) lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1