Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Eastern newt with a fungus infection

RanRan

Reaction score
I read up on the care sheet on the caudata culture site on how to treat the fungus, but have never had to treat a newt with this sort of problem. My main reason for making this thread is to ask for any tips from people who have had successful treatment cases with their newts/salamanders, because I'm quite insecure about how this is going to turn out...

What kind of set up do you give the critter after its first salt bath, and how long do you keep them separated from the main tank?

evut

Reaction score
I only gave salt baths to one of my newts once because I suspected fungus on a wound. During the treatment I kept him in a plastic shoe box with a mesh lid, couple of inches of water (changed daily) and a couple of rocks and a coconut house. I boiled these first.
I gave the newt baths for 5 days, twice each day, and then the wound almost disappeared. I am not sure there was fungus on it - it's possible that it just looked weird because it was healing anyway so I can't tell if it was successful treatment at all.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did similar to Eva. A ventilated plastic box setup (secure lid) with shallow water and a couple of rocks for hides. Water changed daily. I did save one newt by using this type of isolation setup and coaxing it back to eating normally. But I have never had success with a salt bath treatment for visible external problems, probably because the newts in those cases were beyond hope.

RanRan

Reaction score
I did similar to Eva. A ventilated plastic box setup (secure lid) with shallow water and a couple of rocks for hides. Water changed daily. I did save one newt by using this type of isolation setup and coaxing it back to eating normally. But I have never had success with a salt bath treatment for visible external problems, probably because the newts in those cases were beyond hope.

Unfortunately the newt has passed on, because I believe the damage was too far along by the time I received the newt.

Thanks for the responses though, I will remember them if I have to use this treatment again in the future (which I hopefully wont).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1