Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Beautiful Axolotls - Scooby and Klaas

aleceast13

Reaction score
Just wanted to share my two buddies. They're the best pets ever and are now proud parents of over 80 eggs! My first time hatching axie eggs so anyone who has any advice it would be appreciated! :)
Klaas (Mom) is a GFP Leucistic
Scooby (Dad) is a GFP Wildtype
They are about 9 months old.

Attachments

• IMG_0132[1].jpg
    IMG_0132[1].jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_0131[1].jpg
    IMG_0131[1].jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 347

aleceast13

Reaction score
Here are their babies! Just laid

Attachments

• IMG_0130[1].jpg
    IMG_0130[1].jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 310

Possum63

Reaction score
They are beautiful but is no one else concerned about their age?? They shouldnt be bred this young. It can be detremental to their health - the female in particular. They shouldnt be bred till 18months at the youngest.

wandering

Reaction score
I wondered about this when my two bred at 12 months. Didn't know I had one of each until then. I commented but no-one responded.

So is it detrimental for the female before 18 months and where is the source data for this? Asking because sometimes information is not correctly interpreted.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Possum63

Reaction score
I first read about not breeding too young when I was looking into purchasing my first lotl. Below is quoted off the "axolotl.org" website. Since then I have read a few posts on here about not breeding too young plus read other articles (in books and on google) about not breeding any younger than 18 months.

"It is advisable that you don't attemt to breed axolotls until they reach at least 18 months of age. This gives them time to reach their full size (greater than 30 cm or 12 inches in many cases) and condition (a female ready to breed will be very round towards the end of the body when viewed from above). In my opinion it is safe to breed males at an earlier stage than females, because they have much less physical output during the mating process than females, and therefore there is less strain on their bodies. However, females should be prevented from breeding until they reach their full size. There is a very good reason for not breeding your female axolotl(s) too early. A female axolotl can lay in excess of 1000 eggs. Producing so many eggs is a strain on the animal's metabolism, and the body prioritises production of eggs over body growth while the animal is in conditions suitable for breeding. Since females may breed several times each year, as soon as the first batch of eggs are laid, the body attempts to produce new eggs to replace those that have been laid. Female axolotls may fall ill at this point unless due care is taken, and for a female that is still growing in length, the strain is increased. For the same reason, females that have recently bred should be kept away from males for at least a month, preferably two or three, in order for them to recover. From personal experience, I know that just because an axolotl breeds, it doesn't mean it is in good overall health."

To read more on breeding, here is a link to the direct page :)

Axolotls - Breeding Axolotls Successfully

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1