Young axolotl floating, bottom up?

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Just posting about Gally, my five and a half inch Golden Albino who has been a new addition to her 2.5 foot tank for 3 or so weeks now.

Gally eats very well generally and seems to be growing at a good rate since I got him. However, the last three nights I have been noticing that he has been floating, usually just on the surface of the water, but also with his bottom up. It may be because I had a bit of a change in their feeding when I had to stop feeding him for a day because he swallowed two large prawns and I had to wait for them to pass through his system - I could literally see the prawns as lumps in his tummy, they were so big. This happened two days ago.
Ever since he has been fed two worms a day.

He shares a tank with my 7" Wildtype, Toothless. His substrate is sand, the usual temp is 20 degrees celsius and the water parameters are 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 10 Nitrate. The tank is fitted with two filters, a block of PolyFilter and a small colony of Ceropods. He is usually fed two earthworms a day, in the morning.

Now, I know that floating with the bottom up is a sign of constipation but this appears to have happened for the past three nights, and I don't seem to be finding as much poop as I would expect for two axolotls. Do you have any advice? It always seems to happen between 9 - 12 at night too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back