Axolotl floating, very pale.

emdalliance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Emily
My axolotl, she's a small adult I know, has been floating and looking pretty round. She's quite round anyway. She's gone super pale (she's a Leucistic) and her gills aren't looking great.

I've moved her to a big tub because the floor is cooler and I'm doing daily water changes. Water parameters have been fine but I have had a bacteria bloom (in tank not tub). Really worried for her. I've been told to medicate her with meth blue?

She's always had a weird stumpy Gill but it seems like it's spreading? You can see like it going sideways across to her next gill which has only happened recently.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 362
Did you try rinse or soak her with regular tap water for a few minutes? ( chlorine in regular tap water might help kill bacteria ) and salt bath?
Maybe change her tank water 100% with just tap water without dechlorinated along with strong meds that you have for this ( while keeping her in the tub) and let the filter run over night to kill all bacteria in filter, substrate , and tank decor' without completely destroy good bacteria. Then clean tank out the day after , refill it with fresh water again before you put her back in the tank.

I've been told to never use non-dechlorinated water for axolotls? I've also been told not to ever do salt baths unless there's a severe fungal infection.

She's currently not in her tank as I cannot get the temperature down enough so all my axolotls are in big tubs on the floor.
She now after being in the fridge is lumpy and has a slight fungal infection on her toes :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back