Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Spanish ribbed/Iberian newt. Cloudy eyes and not eating

Suselber

Reaction score
Hey guys
I've had my Spanish Ribbed for a few years now and he's generally been fine.
The other month his leg fell away which the vet told me was trauma. He was in with some fire bellied toads at the time, so I took him out and popped him in his own tank. His leg is growing back fine and it may not having anything to do with what's happening now, but I figured the more info I give the better.
I got him some live plants which unfortunately had some snails on them and they made a big mess in his tank. No matter how many times I cleaned them I couldn't seem to get rid of the snails, so I got rid of the plants and left him in with just his hide, a rock and his gravel. But the brown sludge growing on his hide and his rock still persisted. Its growing in quick and I'm cleaning him out every few days which isn't exactly convenient. His eyes have gone all cloudy and after a few days of being in the tank he goes off his food and starts to get rather gloomy. He sometimes just floats on the top of the water or sits upright on his tail. He just doesn't seem very happy. If anyone has any advice of how to stop the brown stuff coming back or just any advice in general, I'd super appreciate it.
Thank you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!