Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Does he need a salt bath?

AbrahamAxolotl

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I noticed a white spot on my lotl's gill. Just the one gill. The gill under it however had no filaments left on it after a few days. I got some Prime (my tank seems to refuse a cycle) and with daily water changes I got the ammonia under 1ppm. The white spot went away and the filaments are growing back nicely.

Today however I noticed that the white spot is back and slightly larger than it was last time. I went to the store and bought some aquarium salt in case he needs a salt bath. I'm very worried about doing this (since you have to move him with your hands - I'm so worried I'll hurt him while transferring him from one container to the salt bath and back again). I don't want it to get any worse, though.

He still moves around normally and eats all his food so I know I don't have to fridge him or anything. I'm just wondering if a salt bath would help or if it would be better to see if it goes away again on it's own. I'm just worried it'll get worse since I have NO idea WHY this happened in the first place (water is dechlorinated, I make sure there's no soaps and such on my hands prior to cleaning/water changes, no metals in the tank, no air-sprays in the room, he's the only tank inhabitant, and un-eaten food and poop is removed within a few hours based on when I notice it, never left there).

I've posted some pics in case maybe I'm wrong about this whole thing. (sorry some are blurry and theyre stretched weird - clicking makes them look right)

tumblr_nf9liaIGdG1qaed4ho6_1280.jpg

tumblr_nf9liaIGdG1qaed4ho5_1280.jpg

tumblr_nf9liaIGdG1qaed4ho4_1280.jpg

tumblr_nf9liaIGdG1qaed4ho2_1280.jpg

allied123

Reaction score
It's really hard to tell and I think most people say to get it before it gets worse but in my experience my guys looked like they had white tufts on their gills but before I could really even think about salt bathing (less than 24 hours after I initially saw the white spots) they were gone. I would personally wait and see if it goes away or take a q-tip and very gently try to wipe that one little spot off and again that was just from my personal experience

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!