Caudata.org Magazine

J

john

I've talked about this before (anyone remember?) but I have come back to it again. I am thinking of going forward with it and I am wondering if anyone is interested in contributing articles? The newsletter would be free, well illustrated and all of those people whose work goes into it would be credited/ mentioned, along with a photo of them if they would like and a small bio for those who write full articles.

The sort of articles I have in mind would be little pieces of news, small pieces of general care advice contributed by everyone and anyone, accounts of field trips (with photos), accounts of experiences with animals (i.e. I bred and raised these guys this year, look at the photos [hey Tim and others ;)]), a rough guide - with photos - to subspecies of fire-bellied newts of Japan? (Hey Aaron, and lots of others), etc. The only thing you'd have to agree to would be that your articles might be edited/trimmed to fit with the rest of the publication.

I haven't decided to make this a frequent thing but I think it would be great to produce a small publication once or twice a year. I would be looking at making this available by Christmas or January and I will lend a hand to anyone who requests it. The length? I would say more than 25 pages but less than 50 pages, but let's say what happens.

What do you guys think? Any volunteers?

Great idea John. I will gladly contribute with articles, pictures and whatever is necessary. I strongly advocate your newsletter project and I encourage everyone to support it.
I could start contributing with an article on several cooling systems for caudates setups.
Best wishes
Yago

that's great john!
I could contribute with some articles about Triturus carnifex and about salamandrina's biology in the wild...
bye
leo

I can help with graphics and layout and junk. Plus any other stuff. It would interesting to see if we could start a cool paper based one or electronic one. maybe that people could buy for $1 or something.

Great idea. Most of the herp based magazines, at least the ones left, seldom touch on caudates. Though Reptiles did have one this last issue. I think a printer-friendly electronic one would be great.

RUSS

Terrific. I´m very interested in contribute. I support all this initiatives.

Xavier.

Great idea, hope it goes ahead.
Not sure if i could contribute though.

I'm all for it
happy.gif
Not sure about articles, but I'd be happy to contribute any pics!

OK I'm up to my neck in with another part of the Caudata.org family at the moment but in 7 to 10 days time I'll start looking for volunteers for specific articles, etc. The general enthusiasm so far is encouraging but I would like people to propose exactly what they want/intend to contribute.

This publication will be free, gratis and for nothing.

Great idea, I'll be willing to help you correct articles on European, North-African and Middle east species, and I will probably be able to do write some things myself as well (although I also have a lot of work especially for the Dutch Salamandra society www.salamanders.nl of which I edit a newsletter too). Perhaps some articles could be translated for the english newsletter.
Well, you know where to find me...

I could write a short piece on a possible new species or subspecies of Triturus carnifex, from the heel of Italy, and possibly something on Salamandra.

Wow, I'm very impressed
happy.gif
. Well for those who have volunteered specific articles (both here on the forum and in private email to me), please go ahead and write. If you have photos, those would be good too. I would set a maximum on the article size as perhaps 4 or 5 A4 pages of 1.5 line spaces at size 10 to size 12 Times New Roman. How does that sound? If you can't supply photos, I will see what we can rustle up. You're pretty free in what you write. No one who has volunteered so far has overlapped with anyone else's ideas so there's nothing to stop you from writing. I will start coordinating things more precisely by the end of November.

To Sergé - if you feel ok with translating and the Dutch Salamander Society is ok with that then by all means, let me know what you have in mind
happy.gif

It would be nice to have something close to a finished publication by the end of December. If anyone needs any help in any way, please let me know.

I intend to write something too but haven't decided quite what to write yet ;).

John, I assume (hope) that the issues of this newsletter can be archived somewhere on Caudata.org. I would be willing to write something, but haven't had a good idea of what.

Hi John, Is there anyway you can come up with a list of who's covering what so far, so anyone else interested can keep from overlapping?

Hi David and John,
Would two articles on a given subject actually be overlap? I'll bet there are no two keepers here whose findings and regimens are identical (for example, it is very likely that I have to address different criteria (or at least address identical criteria in different ways) here in Florida than someone who dwells in Hamm or Oshkosh). Perhaps 2 articles would complement each other rather than overlap and would offer a greater range of techniques than a single article could/would ever offer. Just a thought/Dick

Jen: yes by all means but I wouldn't count past the first edition until we get there.

Dave: I'll deal with that shortly (i.e. today).

Dick: Whilst I appreciate what you're saying I do think that in the case of a small publication like this we should try to avoid overlap on the same species, different experience or not. However, for one individual to write about one subject quoting various (differing or agreeing) sources and experiences would be perfectly acceptable, in my view.

OK, time to see where we stand. Here are the names of people who have volunteered specific articles and what they have volunteered. If the people concerned are willing to go ahead with the articles please email me as soon as possible so we can get into some more detailed planning. I am setting up a private forum topic for the writers and workers to confer with each other and myself. (To anyone who volunteered in general, please don't be offended if you're omitted from this list - articles are the priority).

<u>Specific Articles</u>
  1. Yago has volunteered to write an article about cooling setups. <LI>Leonardo has volunteered to write about Triturus carnifex and also about Salamandrina in the wild. <LI>Tim has volunteered a possible brief article on a recent field trip he made to see Cynops ensicauda in the wild. <LI>Mike East has volunteered to write about a new variety of Triturus carnifex and perhaps an article on Salamandra. By the way, the two unrelated articles on T. carnifex are fine. <LI>I'm going to write an article on the four "well known" Tylototriton species. If anyone would like to throw in their opinions and would like to collaborate with me, please let me know. I would also possibly write an article on axolotls.
I am looking for a few more definite articles to flesh it out - anything like fieldtrip accounts, species care articles, equipment advice, etc - you name it.

I'm obviously going to coordinate it, do the DTP and act as editor. (I hope that doesn't seem big-headed of me!)

The following have also volunteered photos: Yago and Tim. Have I missed anyone?

Sergé has volunteered to help correct/proof articles. If Nate is up to it, I think that the two of you would be a good team (and I'd be flattered to help, though I don't think I am in your respective leagues ;)).

Time scale wise, I would like to have finished articles by the end of December.

As a great man once said, "I love it when a plan comes together"...
biggrin.gif

My girlfriend is a journalism major here in california, and concetrates on editing and stuff.

If she is up to it, maybe she can help out with stuff, to her it would be like an intership, to you it would be more free work, to maybe create a printable electronic version (one that looks just like a magazine, but is distributed electonically).

Let me know

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back