Water Temperature

strongy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am due to get 3 Axolotls later this week (just waiting for my new tank to finish cycling). Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, there is a great amount of information on this site but have seen so much conflicting information....what is the ideal water temperature to keep them in? I have a tank with a heater which can be on or off..at the moment the tank is sitting between 19-20C. I have read not to let the temperature drop below 14C and not above 24C, so am I right in thinking sitting inbetween these at 20C is best?

Also, what food is best for 3-4inch Axolotls? Think the guy at the pet shop has them eating bloodworm...again, wanted to make sure I am giving them what is best for them!

Thanks in advance!

You shouldn't let your axolotl tank get over 24C, I tend to start blowing a fan over the water when it gets a little over 20C. You can let your tank drop to the stage that they could get ice over the top and this will not harm them. What this will do however is slow them right down, and they will barely feed. I kept one accidentally outside one winter and the tank froze :( . I would not use a heater at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back