Finally.... My Underwater Aquariums/terrariums/vivariums Masterpiece!

hey rave hows the tank holding up? also hows the foam doing? curious to see nice tank by the way

Hello!
Great tank! I am in the process of using Great Stuff and silicone to make a similiar setup for a 20 gallon tall tank I have. You keep mentioning "tips" that you used... are these accessible online? Thanks!

The tank is looking pretty bad now. The foam and plants are doing good, but I got algae up the ***! Apparently from research and talking to people its the coco fiber decomposing in the water and its causing a huge spike. I CANT keep the tank clean. I may have to tear it apart.

I completley redid my other tank and its now just a planted aquarium and I hope it holds up better.

Man that sucks, this was a beautiful setup. Hopefully you can figure a way to keep the algae managable instead of having to tear it down.

Thanks Justin.

As an update I have totally saved the tank. Dont really know how. I yanked out the newt I had in there and gave him a new home, than got some fish in the tank with some more snails (ram and trumpet) and did water changes alot. Tank is looking awesome! Ill have to add some pics. It looks nothing like the original tank.

I'm looking forward to the new pictures! Could you possibly put one of the old photos next to a newer photo for comparison?

I've been trying to get up the courage to play with great stuff too, I'd like to copy your efforts but maybe not using coco bark. I wonder what is a good substitute?

Sharon

My paludarium has a decent amount of coco fiber in the water also(it eventually settles to the bottom and forms mulm). No algae to speak of. What kind of algae are we talking of here? Have you tried lowering/pulsing light levels? A lot of times a tank takes a bit to stabilize and goes through a period of algal bloom.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back