Eastern Red Spotted Newt Breeding?

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jesse
306440_266351480044747_100000096922986_1127636_2309696_n.jpg

So theses a terrible pic of my 4 babies ;o; they are adorable. I have two questions:

What should I do to get them to mate? I've been reducing the water temperatures, making it darker sooner, and feeding more. Is there anything else I can do? I really want baby newts. I heard these are a difficult species to breed though, but I'm up to the challenge.

STORY TIME. I found one newt outside in a muddy deep tire track filled with tadpoles and frogs. I brought him in and apparently, he was in amplexus... o_o I thought he was trying to strangle the other one... so I took a net and got him off of her ._.' so yeah... I failed XD

Also, question two, are their spots supposed to fade over time? My two oldest now have yellow spots instead of reddish-orange. Thanks for you're help ^-^

Continue to cool them, and keep them as cold as you can this winter. Keep them very well fed. Beyond that you just have to hope that nature takes its course.

Same advice as Jennewt, get them cold for as long as you can (at least 4 weeks, longer is better). Mine typically bred when they got below about 50 degrees farenheit for an extended period of time. The male will start to develop nuptial pads and a broad flat tail when it starts getting in to breeding condition. The nuptial pads are dark markings on the back of hind legs. Good luck!

I keep mine in a room where it gets a bit colder in winter, but not much colder than 15C. That was enough for them apparantly. Guess I was lucky!

Regarding the spots, the color is somewhat dependent on diet. Over time they may fade if there are not enough carotenoids in the diet.

Ah, so what can I feed them to give them more carotenoids? Is it possible that it could cause a health problem or is it just aesthetic really?

It could indicate a health problem, i.e., a sick newt may lose its color. But if there are no other symptoms I wouldn't worry about it. The best way to ensure enough carotenoids in the diet is to supplement their food with a vitamin powder, although this can be difficult if they are aquatic. What are you feeding them? Daphnia and any other of freshwater shrimp are good as a dietary source, but these things are not readily available for most people.

I feed them newt pellets and on occassion, eathrworms chopped up. I learned the hard way to chop them up. One of my newts died today, I suspect from choking. I felt bad cutting them up and he hadn't had problems before with it but I always will chop them up now. I feel horrible about it D:

Are you sure that he choked? Earthworms serve a good and healthy meal. My adults are given a lot of earthworms. I do not chop them at all.

If you don't feed them enough carotenoids the sports will become less bright and turn a bit orange or yellow.

I think he did :/ thats the only thing I could think of although he did look a little sickly for a month or two but he looked better after eating...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back