I have eastern newt eggs!

psychotic

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm so super excited that I thought I'd share! I had two gravid newts. One reabsorbed her eggs. The other was going on 3 months without laying. I was very worried that she might have bloat. But she finally laid for me. I had a mixture of live and fake Bacopa in their tank. My last resort was making plastic strips. Guess which she decided to lay on? Silly newt chose the plastic strips!

It's been a week since I found the eggs and there are only about 10 of them. I don't know why the number is so small. But I don't care because I see little babies forming inside the eggs (I've removed them from tank). So 10 babies is better than nothing.

I'm so excited because CB red spotted newts seem to be kind of rare. I know a man who has been searching for some CB and though he wanted to buy them, I'm going to surprise him and give him my babies once they are established. I think it would make his day. So fingers crossed these little guys make it!

Trusted me. There will be more eggs. They haven't stoppe laying eggs for me and it's been like... 2 months almost. I've had over 100 eggs so far.

One of my females has also passed the number 100 egg, they seem to carry on laying eggs for a very long time :)

Well my newt hasn't laid anymore eggs. But on Tuesday the four good eggs that I did get hatched. I'm so happy. They are too cute. One is very yellow compared to the others. Maybe he will stay different. Though I doubt it. :p

My newt babies are growing. They are still very tiny. I zoomed in on them as best I could with my camera. I didn't even realize they had little speckles until after taking this picture lol.

411349_455613834466546_64082716_o.jpg

Eastern newts love to lay on Elodea (Egeria densa). If you want some PM me and I'll send you some for free. Mine looks like this. Different from from what I have seen in pet stores for years under the same name.Egeria densa

Friday June 29th a storm came through knocking our power out along with over half the state and other surrounding states. This normally wouldn't be a problem except we were also in the middle of a heat wave. By day three all my baby newts died except for one. All the gas stations quickly ran out of gas because everyone was rushing to get all they could. Finally we were able to get gas for our generator and I put the remaining baby and its parents in the refrigerator.

12 days now and still no power. At least the heat wave is over...

Thats a long time without power,it was a bad storm but my power stayed on.With the heatwave it's good to have a basement to keep newts and salamanders in as it stays cool year round.I have about 10 eastern newt larvae as a few have developed arms and legs.I lost a few recently that wer'e just about morphed and don't know why.

I live in a trailer so I don't have a basement anymore :(

That's so sad! I'm sorry to hear about the loss :(

Thanks. I still have the parents so I'll try again next year. The males have already lost their thick tails so no one is in the breeding mood anymore.

At least my baby Jefferson and Spotted Salamander babies made it. But they were much bigger and close to morphing so not as fragile as the newt babies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back