Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hooray! I finally got my Nophthalmus viridescens!

ButtercupSaiyan

Reaction score
My fiance drove all the way over to Clearwater from Winter Haven to get him/her ... he's a real cutie! It seems to be a young juvenile that just passed into the adult stage ... I can't believe how tiny and frail it seems to be, the feet are incredibly ticklish because it's so small and quick.

A pleasant green color, thankfully, not a dull grey ... bright red spots with black markings, he's healthy and active—I have no complaints. I just wanted to show 'im off. =D

http://data.furaffinity.net/art/buttercupsaiyan/1207791657.buttercupsaiyan_truffles.swf

Last edited:

Plethodonae

Reaction score
Nice, healthy looking newt and very nice looking set up from what I glimpsed. Good luck with it!:smile:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Egads! You're making it crawl on your pants? This is not healthy. Amphibians should be handled as little as possible, and when they are handled, they should be handled with moist hands, and not placed on dry, rough surfaces and forced to crawl around (you can see it obviously running, which is not a 'happy' movement. It's probably trying to avoid the 'giant predator' it sees you as). This kind of activity can cause abrasions, which can lead to infection, which can lead to death. Not to mention, it could fall off your body and sustain injuries.

Wildebeestking

Reaction score
Congratulations. I love my N. viridescens. However, I agree with Kaysie in saying that it is dangerous and harmful to your newt's health to improperly handle them. I myself handle mine to a bare minimum, the last time I held my two adults was almost three weeks ago, just to sex them. Anyways, have fun with it.

Wildebeestking

Reaction score
Oops. Didn't realize how old this was. I always get lost digging around on here.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
They can absorb salt soap and lotions from your hands and detergents, softeners and dryer sheet **** from your clothes. None of it is good for them. Always wash your hands and rinse extremely well before handling. Not that I remember all the time but I try and I would never post a video of it cause I know Kaysie would be calling out on it....LOL.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, we've all done it! Just try to keep it to the absolute minimum to keep them all as healthy as possible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1