Eastern newt death :(

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Izzy
My eastern newts that I had for a little over a month randomly died last week. No water issues, everything was perfect. I went to bed and woke up with two dead newts :(
Is it true that their species doesn't do too well in captivity?

They do have a habit of spontaneously dying, which is why I don't really want to own this species anymore

Exactly. For years I would catch one or two only to release them because they would never really establish themselves, or like you, if they do they up and die out of nowhere. 5 years ago I decided never again.

I had the same issue. I tried keeping them multiple times but they always randomly died, even though the water chemistry was perfect, etc. I ended up giving up on them and got peninsular newts instead. If you still want newts like them, I would definitely recommend the peninsular newts. I have had mine for years now and they have been doing excellently. They appear to be much hardier. Two of mine hide a lot and come out occasionally but one of them is always very active at the front of the tank. His name is Sonny. He is very interactive too and seems to enjoy my presence (he even ignores food to interact with me a lot).

Sorry to hear about your newts. This happens a lot with Notos, especially wild caught animals. It's not always the case though. I had one for many years that bred a few times and had been in someone else's care for 8 years before that. I stick to captive bred newts now.

My husband has kept a group of 4 for many years now, and I'll be honest with you he's not great at taking care of them and cleaning the water on a regular schedule yet they thrive. I think the main trick to keeping these guys might be water tannins, I made him throw a lot of oak leaves on the bottom when we first set the tank up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back