Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How Often Should I Do Water Changes?

PixelStix

Reaction score
I have standard (us)10 Gallon tank that will soon inhabit one Axolotl. I'm going to put some sand substrate and a few fake plants and hides in. How often would I need to do water changes and clean the tank? Would I ever need to do full, deep cleanings (taking out the axolotl, cleaning out the sand and scrubbing the plants/hides) or would the axolotl be just fine without them? I have a standard hang-on-the-side filter, and plan on getting two Ghost Shrimp as a small clean-up crew.

Karayna

Reaction score
If it's cycled I would change 25% once a week and spot clean every day. Check the parameters before each water change - be aware that it's harder to keep a small tank stable!

You should never have to do deep cleanings like that unless there's something very wrong (e.g. you need to disinfect it after an illness). Cleaning the sand and the decor means that you also remove all the beneficial bacteria that breaks down ammonia and nitrate. Some bacteria live in your filter, but most of it actually resides in the substrate and on different surfaces in the tank.

Also, make sure that the fake plants and decorations are not sharp as they can possibly cut your axie. The shrimp is a good idea, but they will be eaten sooner or later! Best of luck!

PixelStix

Reaction score
Thank you so much! Before we get the Axie and put it in the tank, we're going to have our water tested at PetSmart (I plan on buying a Water Testing kit once I graduate later this month) So we should be good.

When you say spot cleaning, do you mean wiping the glass (without chemicals, of course) or just getting any extra muck off the decor and ground? I know I'll have to get any waste off the bottom every day, so I assume I'd have to do that as well?

Karayna

Reaction score
Great! Have you read up on fishless cycling?

Basically, just remove any visible poop and dirt (preferably with a turkey baster). You seem to have it all figured out already! :)

PixelStix

Reaction score
Lol thanks. I've done lots of research, because I want to be prepared when I get this thing. I do want to get the ghost shrimp soon to help speed up the process though. I plan on keeping them in the tank, so while they're still alive, they'll help keep my tank clean. Plus they'll be a nice snack for my Axie every once in a while lol.

Karayna

Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan! I put five Amano shrimp with my two wildtypes in their 27 g tank a month ago. Amazingly, at least two shrimp are still alive and well! Survival of the fittest (in this case - fastest)...! ;)

Be sure to post pics as soon as you get your new little friend! Have you decided on any special morph/color?

PixelStix

Reaction score
I'm hoping for a Melanoid or Wild Type, but honestly, any kind of Axolotl would do. :) I definitely plan on posting pics, and maybe even having a naming contest (once I can determine its gender, of course.)

Karayna

Reaction score
How exciting! Wilds are really nice as they come in such a wide range of colors! One of mine is greenish with a light chin and tummy, dark spots and white spots and dark red gills, my other is purplish with a "leopard" speckling and purple/red gills! :D

Be warned: They are addictive! You will end up with more than one. ^^

PixelStix

Reaction score
After I'm used to taking care of the one, I'll upgrade to a 20gal Long and get another. Maybe even get a male and a female and hope for a surprise batch of eggs .w.

PixelStix

Reaction score
I got my little guy! I have a feeling the people I got him from didn't know how to properly take care of him, but I'm determined to raise him! <3

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f30794d4c414a58784649624e32513d3d2d3333382e313463323362383034653732376438393336383336303839393232312e6a7067

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!