Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding my baby newt

H

Helena

I got a baby (4 month old) fire belly newt today and the breeder sent him with some white worms in his box. I put him into his new setup and put the remainder of the worms in there and he ate all of them. Later today I tried giving him some frozen bloodworms on tongs but he will not take it. I'm worried he won't eat now. I don't have any live food and I have no idea where to get any here in canada. Help!!

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Can you contact the breeder to source more white worms?

I feed my baby newts live black worms in a dish so I recommend sourcing some black worms, and small isopodes are a good food source too.

You can also try tiny pieces of chopped earthworm on a toothpick but this takes patience and training on both you and the newt's part.

Good luck

Methos5K

Reaction score
You are going to NEED to find that newt a source of living foods. Pronto. A tiny terrestrial newt is not going to eat frozen foods or pellets; only living foods. Like already said; find live blackworms; feed them on a piece of paper towel; or cut up earthworms with very sharp scissors or razor blade until it is small enough to be eaten. Other live foods to try are isopods, fruit flies and pinhead crickets.

casswildman

Reaction score
Hi Helena! I was just wondering, where/from whom did you obtain your newt? I’m in Canada looking to get one or two but they‘re so difficult to come across now :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!