Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help with juvenile Lake Urmia Newts (neurergus crocatus)

Flppy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just today I received two cute juvenile Lake Urmia newts which arrived in a small damp plastic container with some java moss. Upon introduction into the habitat (10 gallon aquarium currently sitting at around 66 F, picture attached) they consistently attempt to climb the glass and escape the enclosure. Whenever they go from the floating cork bark to the water they begin swimming pretty frantically towards the back wall.

The breeder I purchased them from said he keeps them in a fully aquatic setup which is what I have. I’ve thoroughly cleaned all the gravel and water so I’m pretty sure it’s not a chlorine issue. For now I’ve moved them to a small bowl with flat rocks and just an inch of water, so it’s mostly terrestrial. They seem to be a little less stressed here but are still attempting to escape. Are my little guys just acclimating to the new environment? Is there something I can do to ease their stress?

399DEEC8-09B2-4997-9AFC-7B4D09718E30.jpg
4FDB2536-D7EF-48B8-AB18-301E83C6223A.jpg
Thanks in advance,
Philip

Last edited:

Viking

Reaction score
They have dry out of water for days. They will resist the water. Provide them with floating plants and cork floats. The temperature sound good. I suspect they will settle down in a few days. I have a group of 5. Keep the tank secured covered or they will escape. I have lose some that way.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1