Taricha larvae

Tim,
Keep posting pictures! I love looking at them.
happy.gif

I need to invest in a good digital camera. I have a great manual/auto 35mm. It takes wonderful pictures, but obviously not so convenient for sharing photos online.
Maybe I'll get one for Christmas...I'll have to start dropping hints.
lol.gif

My t. gran is loving his new tank mates. I read in the FAQ section that danio fish could be put in with salamanders. Since I added 5 leopard danios this evening, Steve has been paying close attention. He appears to be mesmerized. It's so cute.
Have you posted a pic of your adult t. gran set up?
Are you Japanese or an American living in Japan?
I've had several friends who've lived in Japan. My husband travels there a few times a year on business. I'd love to travel there someday.
Stephanie

Pin-pin, oh yes, they've been eating only bloodworm for the last couple of weeks, having been weaned off tubifex.

Hi Stephanie. Thanks a lot for the complement
biggrin.gif

I posted a pic of my simple setup already in your "Our new pet" thread at

http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/7/21273.jpg

I'm a permanent resident of Japan with U.S. citizenship, and I lived here longer than I've lived in America. You should definitely make it over here sometime.

Yes, I'd recommend any hobbyist who can afford a digital camera to invest in one
wink.gif

Oh, yeah! I remember seeing your picture now. I've e-talked with so many people now that I've lost track. Your set up is very natural and simple. I prefer natural looking tanks. Most people on this site seem to as well.
Do you keep many other pets?
Stephanie

Stephanie, you can just click on a person's name in the left-hand column to view their profile
wink.gif

My setup is very basic but it does the job for now. I'll be moving these two adults to much roomier accommodations when I get another pair someday, with an eye to breeding them.

Here they are as of today, one having developed faster than the others, but not quite ready to morph.

21699.jpg

I'm witnessing some serious coloration change here. Wow!

22678.jpg

One of them has shot ahead of the other two in terms of development.

WOW! They sure have changed---so much bigger and newt like!
Keep the post coming...
I consider this an education so that someday if I'm able to acquire some hachlings, I'll know what to expect.
Stephanie

Gorgeous, Tim! How long/big are they?

Take care on the climbing, as I remember you had them in an open container.

(Message edited by apples on September 11, 2004)

I still have two larvae, one having morphed a couple of weeks ago.

One of the two has become dark and the gills are shrinking.

I'll bet it has less than a week to go until metamorphosis.

23537.jpg

This is not the same one as in the pic directly above it, which is the one that has already morphed
wink.gif

(Message edited by TJ on September 27, 2004)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back