Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Taricha colors.

B

brian

Does anyone know if it's more genetic or other factors. As I've seen everything from almost bright yellow to reddish in T. torosa and granulosa. Usually though all members at one locality match though even between both species.

The red was deceptive since I was in T. rivularis range.

N

nate

Hi Brian, it's just regional and individual variation. when I lived in the northwest, I've seen granulosa ranging from nearly orange, brown, blackish, and even greenish above and yellow to orange-red underneath. T. t. sierrae is known to be dark-orange to reddish-brown normally.

B

brian

Oh, OK so diet probably doesn't play a role that much then I guess.

I was thinking about giving a newt insects gut loaded with high beta-caroteine (spelling?) foods and see if it had an effect on color.

U

uwe

I think there are several factors that play a role: genetics, food, sourrounding, temperature and humidity.

Uwe

B

brian

It's just that I've noticed where species overlap the colors sometimes are similiar. For instance in Red-Bellied country the California's were very red, while down here the California and Rough-skinned typically match colors at different locations.

I found a genetics article on Taricha, but nothing about the colors which is why I asked.

U

uwe

Hi Brian,

there is a big article about comparison of the different species. Also coloration is compared. Maybe this might interest you:
Riemer, W. J. (1958). "Variation and systematic relationships within the salamander genus Taricha." University of California Publications in Zoology, 56(3), 301-390.

What is down here? Where are you located?

Uwe

B

brian

Thanks.

I'm located in the SF Bay Area, California so the counties around San Francisco for those not familiar with California (don't know if you are).

I've actually watched Taricha since I was a kid from Sonoma County up north down to San Diego County. The two locations I meant by down here were the newts in Tilden Park in Berkeley/Oakland region and Briones Park (forget city it's in).

I've done a lot of reading on more recent Taricha articles like the Tan & Wake genetic study (can get a pdf if interested), but didn't look that far back.

TJ

Reaction score
Hi Brian, hi Uwe, I'll be in the SF Bay Area for a couple days in late April, might pass through the Yosemite area on the way to Las Vegas, and would love to photograph some Taricha migrations to & from breeding ponds. Please let me know if there are any places to see so late in the spring. Perhaps there are some higher elevation, cooler places. My understanding, however, is that the show's pretty much over already...
sad.gif

B

brian

You might see a few individuals though. Let me look into places. I might forget to say anything, if so just remind me. You will at least be able to see the tail ends of stuff, i.e. a lone individual or two at worst.

If your in Yosemite try to look for Hydromantes, or Bufo canorus.
happy.gif

I'm actually going to go to a spot to look for T. rivularis in a few weeks. I'll see if I find anything.

TJ

Reaction score
Hi Brian. Well, I'd sure love to see some Hydromantes too. If you hear of any good locations, please send me a private mail at timtim@gol.com , seeing as it wouldn't do to advertise precise locations here ;)

I'm thinking of recruiting Pin-Pin as my guide
biggrin.gif

Regarding ventral color variation, the situation with Taricha seems similar to that with Cynops here in Japan. A lot of variety, even among individuals in the same location.

U

uwe

Hi Brian, hi Tim,

I lived in the SF bay area some years ago and know it quite well. As I am now located in Germany I can not show you around but I can tell you, that there several places to look for certain species. Around SF there are Tarichas, Batrachoseps and Ensantinas as well as Dicamptodon and Aneides. A good place is actually Big Basin State Park.
I Yosemite it depends heavily on the weather condition. In April there sometimes snow at that time. But T.t.sierrae should be active at that time. I know a place to see them on the way to Lake Tahoe.

Hope you get some good information from the people on spot

Uwe

U

uwe

Hi Brian,

the PDF would be interesting.

Do you also see T.rivularis around your place?

Uwe

B

brian

Well I just looked and the study is almost 1MB in pdf form. So I can't upload it. Do you want it in a email attachment? Make sure you have room for a 1 MB attachment if so. I'll wait until I hear one way or another.

T. rivularis is a hour or two north of me, well the southern limit. I'm going to try to scout out some locations I got off of collected specimens in a bottle at school as well as some locations mentioned in field guides.

B

brian

Sent. In theory if it says download unavailable for some reason simply try again later. While torosa is the paper's focus it does talk about rivularis and granulosa spliting off from the ancestoral Taricha stock.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1