Taricha fire-walking

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
Fascinating stuff:

"Stromberg (1997) documented a survival mechanism in response to a prescribed burn on the
Hastings Natural History Reservation, Carmel Valley, Monterey Co., California. He
observed a pair of newts walk through flames (5-10 cm high) without pausing. The slime
covering their bodies foamed up, and within 20-30 seconds, they were through the flames
and onto the ashes of the litter. Upon close examination, the now crusty white coating easily
wiped off, and the skin was free of blisters or discoloration. He released the newts which
continued to walk normally, proceeding at near record newt speed. As they walked, leaves
and litter removed nearly all of the thin white crust covering their bodies. Foaming of the
skin would dissipate heat and may be a mechanism used to escape natural wildfires
(Stromberg, 1997)."

Source: Riverside County Integrated Project Multiple Species Habitat Conservation Plan

http://www.rcip.org/mshcpdocs/Vol2/appendixB/Sec-01.Amphibians/03.CoastRangeNewt.pdf

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back