T. granulosa illegal in Calif?

A

alexis

hi,
are taricha granulosa illegal in california? i tried to order some online, and the company said they're illegal in california. where can i find a list of species that are illegal in california?
thanks!

Strangely enough, T. granulosa is illegal to sell/buy in CA because it is a native species, but the pet shops from other states get their T. granulosa from CA. It's one of those state herp laws that makes no sense...

Anyway, to the best of my knowledge, all species which can be found in CA are illegal to buy/sell/trade in CA. It's not illegal to possess them in CA, but you can only keep a certain number of native herps...4 I think. That's total animals, not species.

The laws are at: http://www.californiafishandgame.com/ca/district/reptiles/rep.htm

I think it is illegal to import them to CA as well, i.e. if you live in another state and move to CA you cannot bring your T. granulosa with you (not even four of them).

I also thought you needed a fishing license in theory to own any native CA herp. Then you come under the number limits.

I don't think you need a fishing license to own native CA herps, just to legally collect them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back