Broken-Striped Newt egg

Maybe I should wait to put the sand in my tank? Or should I just go ahead and do it? Does anyone else use sand?
I figure if I get the calcium sand, it'll be good for them incase they eat it.

Tim, you just need to feed it more colorful food!
lick.gif

Riccilily, if you use THAT much calcium sand, you could end up with hard water. This will cause more deposits on the glass. I've heard people use swimming pool filter sand, as it has less powder in it than "play sand".

Dang it i wish i knew where you got the egg, i want a few more lil guys considering i have one. i would also like to breed them and sell em here in ontario. good luck
You're lucky
Demon

Jennewt,
alien.gif
or anybody else familiar with N.v care to tell me what in the heck is going on here?! Over the last couple of days, my female (the same one pictured above) has turned yellow! This is NOT a camera effect.
biggrin.gif

6950.jpg

6951.jpg

6952.jpg

I have no idea. I've never seen a Notophthalmus lose it's color like that! Weird!

Hmmm...I'm at a loss to explain
smile6.gif
Maybe I'd taken the pic just after turning on the light or something. But I also have a crested newt that became suddenly pale recently:

6972.jpg
6973.jpg

Anyway, she's regained her color, though not yet as dark as she was in the past:

6974.jpg

Tim,what Triturus are those?
they look like Karelinii or Alpestris

Mark

Hi Mark, sorry to have missed yer post. Ummm...dunno, really
smile6.gif
Think they're from Ukraine, but not sure. Don't think they're alpestris though...

Anyway, here's the oldest N.v larvae as of today. The others are still playing catch-up.

7466.jpg

I have friend who runs a tropical fish store and he gets occasional suprises from his plant distributor. Auran tadpoles and Notopthalmus v. larva will show up. I have kept and reared various N. v. species and they always posed a challenge during the eft phase. Eventhough rearing baby brine shrimp can get old after week 4, fruit flies and pinhead crickets can be a hassel. I've had some efts do better in a shallow water set up with black worms, but cleaning was difficult. All in all, the eft phase can last between 2-4 years, which makes breeding them to adulthood challenging. Notopthalmus sp., Cynops sp., and Triturus sp., have very simular traits, even though I tend to take a different approach with rearing. Patience is a must with all three genera. Seems like your doing a good job. Let me know if I can help out in any way.

Thanks, Al
happy.gif
2-4 years for the eft-phase? Much longer than I expected, but that'd be fine for me as long as they can easily get accustomed to being hand-fed bloodworm like my multitudes of C.ensicauda juvies are. My pinhead bill is already too high due to fussy eaters like H.tokyoensis, N.strauchii and to some extent C.orientalis.

Aside from tiny live tubifex and occasionally live baby brine shrimp, I'm now trying out frozen baby brine with the smallest N.v larvae -- but I'm not sure whether they're eating it. Has anybody else tried non-live food with N.v larvae with any success?

Here it is as of today
biggrin.gif

7845.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back