Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Andrias japonicus photos from San Antonio Zoo

tdimler

Reaction score
This post is WAY late in coming (these are over a year old), but I thought I'd share it. I have a friend at the zoo in San Antonio, TX who showed me around the herpetarium and amphibian exhibits. The zoo has 5 A. japonicus which are wholly impressive beasts. We fed them while I was there and they remind me of T-Rex eating....or similar to tiger salamanders, Dicamptodon, or Desmognathus in their enthusiasm for food. I hope you enjoy the photos.

The enclosure is pictured....it had swiftly moving water about 12" deep and hides both of rock and some improvised from trashcans. The Andrias were not fully grown by any means, but they were only a few years old and considering they were around 12" on arrival, I was shocked how quickly they had grown.

two_in_hide_closeup.jpg

two_in_hide1.jpg

two_in_hide.jpg

headshot1.jpg

headshot.jpg

food.jpg

vitamins.jpg

feeding_sequence1.jpg

feeding_sequence2.jpg

feeding_sequence3.jpg

feeding1.jpg

feeding.jpg

enclosure2.jpg

enclosure3.jpg

enclosure1.jpg

andrias2.jpg

andrias1.jpg

andrias.jpg

with_keeper.jpg

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I want a tank where I can WADE in to feed my animals, LOL. Great pictures, Travis, thanks for posting!

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
Wow, very nice picures. I too wish I had a tank like that (and a place to put it). They are extremely amazong creatures.

Lasher

Reaction score
I want a tank where I can WADE in to feed my animals, LOL.

Likewise. I'm working on winning the lottery so I can do so at the moment. Its not going so well.

As for the photo's - Wow. I'd give my hind teeth to see a giant sal in the flesh. I'd love a couple... dont know where I'd put them though.

tdimler

Reaction score
I wonder who formulates their vitamins?
Chip

Chip,

I thought the same thing ;-) That's why I posted the photo....you don't find "Andrias Vitamins" on the shelf at the health food store. I wonder if they come in chewable versions or shaped as the sals favorite cartoon characters?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I will always be in awe of the giants. I've seen them a few times in person (even 'behind-the-scenes', not through glass), but they'll never cease to amaze me.

If these guys were only a foot long a year ago, I guess Flintstone chewables are working pretty well.

septama

Reaction score
wow what a great picture, the pool is crystal clear, I hope they don't use the shoes other than to entering the pool
amazing creatures;)

freves

Reaction score
After taking a closer look at the pic I noticed that the vitamins are in a mazuri brand container, although it looks as if the container had originally packaged a bird related product. I checked their website just out of curiosity... http://www.mazuri.com/Home.asp?Products=2 No specific Andrias products but I am curious about that amphibian gel. I wonder if they have sample sizes available? I would hate to spend 27.00 on something that my salamanders would not eat.
Chip

SalSA

Reaction score
Wow, surprised to see these pictures here. Can't believe you posted pictures of that guy though,really ruined the set! Are you going to post the newer pictures. The salamanders have grown quite a bit since then. Its weird seeing these pictures, the look so small!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have a personal vendetta against 'that guy'? I hardly see how he 'ruined the set'. In fact, he gives a great perspective on how big these sals are.

benw

Reaction score
Maybe he actually IS the guy in the set!!!!!
I dont know, just guessing.:D

Ben

josh

Reaction score
imagine having a salamander the size of youre leg........ now thats a conversation starter eh.

shotgun

Reaction score
I'm wondering how long that set-up has existed because I think they're going to be VERY disapointed when those climb out.
I keep benders and they can & do try and climb out to excape. I found one on the floor once and about had a cow. When I put it back the other one climbed out righ in front of me. I hope they screen it when they're no doing Maintenance.
A very nice set-up though, I wish I had more room and a contact to buy some of those!

SalSA

Reaction score
Sonic...you nailed it. I am "that guy". The salamanders have been in there for almost 2 years now. I was worried at first they may try to climb out but they have shown no desire to do anything close to coming out. They rarely come out of the water on the rocks, let alone try to climb out. The first few months after we put them all together there was a lot of moving around and what seemed to be setting up dominance in the group. After that was all established they set up thier own spots and left each other alone. About 6 months after being together, they all moved under a large rock shelf.

The vitamins are a standard vitamin for fish eating birds. The fish we feed are previously frozen so we add the vitamins to replace nutrients lost during the freezing.

shotgun

Reaction score
Do you see combating with those like the benders do? What are the odds those will breed? Another question on food, the benders here eat crayfish, do these have any similar food items in Japan & have you ever feed them crayfish or are those frozen fish the one & only food item? I was lucky enought to meet a zookeeper that was keeping a bender, he claimed it was there for 7 or 9 years and had been feeding it frozen mice and rat pups the whole time. (the zoo will remain un-named) Have you guys ever attempteded fozen rodents? Any good or bad with that idea?
Sorry to bombard you with quewstions but there's not too many people caring for these let alone even getting to see them.
Chuck

SalSA

Reaction score
Yes they fought. The first month or so they fought a lot. Usually face grabbing and rolling. After a while they seemed to establish a heirarchy and bites are infrequent and usually only occuring around feeding time.

We used to feed them fresh rat pups when they were very small (a foot or so). Don't feed them rodents anymore. I'm not sure how their digestion will handle the fur. We do occasionally feed them live crawfish (cut the pinchers off first) and they have munched on the live koi that share the exhibit with them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1