Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

cute little beggar

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
My D. tenebrosus larva has learned to beg... it has become accustomed to eating thawed shrimp from forceps and I'd found he began responding to the forceps more than the food, when I drop food he follows the forceps and not the food. This morning he was hunting around his tank when my girlfriend raised a finger and wiggled it in greeting. The salamander immediately began to wiggle and squirm at the front of the tank... pausing and squirming again every time my girfriend wiggled her finger at him... the behavior stopped when I fed him a little... I was surprised because i fed him a large meal yesterday...

What a smart little waterdog, my touble now will be resisting his adorable begging behavior and not overfeeding him.

Critter Mom

Reaction score
That's very cool! You know, I have noticed the same behavior going on now with the three Cynops Orientalis that I have. The largest one is the one which begs the most and seems to have an endless pit sometimes for a stomach. I have had to stop feeding her upon occasion because she will literally stuff herself to the point she looks very fat like a sausage that is about to burst it's casing, and has to immediately shed her skin when she is done eating.:rolleyes: I have to regulate for her how much she gets so she does not over-eat sometimes. I think the others are male. They know when to stop eating for the most part, although there is one curious little fellow who sometimes looks a little round for a while when he is through.:D I think he is just trying to catch up to the others in size.:wink:

Have fun, and thanks for posting! It would be cool if you could get some pictures... :happy:

Critter Mom

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
here is a pic of the little guy...

Attachments

• D.tenebrosus larva.jpg
    D.tenebrosus larva.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 2,529

Critter Mom

Reaction score
That is too cute! You should submit that for the calendar!!:happy:

Thanks for posting a picture for us.

More?:wacko:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!