Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl tank setup and tank mates

axies for life

Reaction score
Ok so I have a 20 gal talk tank and I am going to get 2 axolotls. I have decided to make my own decorations, any good DIY hide ideas? Also I need help with equipment because I used to live in Florida and had tropical fish so i need a chiller new lights etc. Also what plants can I use and are there any fish I could put in there and i would also like to put some muscles an clams, would that be ok? Thanks in advance for all your help.

jane1187

Reaction score
First off let me suggest you take some time to read through the axolotl forums, and use the search function, there are lots of threads about set-ups, equipment, ideas for chilling, etc, as well as substrates, plants and ornaments/hides. You will also find that lighting is not recommended for axolotl tanks as they have no eyelids and cannot blink to shut out bright light. Natural light in the room should be sufficient.

Also may I recommend that you do not add fish to the tank. Some people add feeder fish such as minnows but it is best to quarantine them before adding. I am not sure about clams and such but my advice is avoid as an axolotl will eat anything that fits in its mouth and the last thing you want to be doing is trying to remove a shell from its mouth. Many many people here will recommend a tank for axolotls and axolotls alone. If anything put shrimp in there as they do a decent job of cleaning and can be easily eaten by the axolotls from time to time with minimal issues. You will find many thread discussing this too.

hacelepues

Reaction score
First of all, the clams are a baaad idea.

They are pretty much like living rocks. The axies WILL try to eat them. This can cause 2 bad things to happen.

1. They successfully ingest the clam, but can't digest the shell and can't pass it. Impaction.

2. They try to eat the clam while it's open, but the clam snaps shut and traps the axolotls leg, or jaw, or throat, etc. This happens with snails a lot when axoltols try to eat them and they "shut their door", and I've heard of many axies dying from their injuries.

Tankmates that I would consider to be safe would be things like small shrimps (red cherries or ghost shrimp) or small fish like guppies/white cloud minnows. Understand that over time, these tankmates will get eaten. If you do add fish, make sure to observe them to see if they are being too agressive and nipping at the axolotl's gills. If so, you will have to remove them. I've never had this be the case, however.

I've got ghost shrimp in with my axies right now. And I'm trying to breed WCM to occasionally throw in some fry.

Jenste

Reaction score
Also, a 20 gallon tall is only suitable for 1 axolotl due to the floor space. A 20 gallon LONG could accomodate up to 2

hacelepues

Reaction score
Also, a 20 gallon tall is only suitable for 1 axolotl due to the floor space. A 20 gallon LONG could accomodate up to 2

I didn't read that part properly. Jenste is right! A 20 gallon tall can only fit one axie... and it's not really even that suitable, depending on the footprint :/

Bdyoung

Reaction score
I'd have to disagree. While yes it is better for one and if you're a beginner I'd recommend only one. It all depends on the size it gets. My two axolotls successfully in a 20 tall, but they also stayed on the smaller side and weren't huge like some can get.

Jenste

Reaction score
a 20 gallon tall is only 4 inches long and 2 inches wider than a 10 gallon tank. This is too small for two axolotls that have the potential to get quite large.

Considering you are getting juveniles and not adults who are already full size, whether that be small, average, or large, it is a risk I would not take.

Unless you have two adults who are full grown and very small for the species, it shouldn't be done and small, undersized adults could be the result from living in crammed accomodations.

Bdyoung

Reaction score
A 20h is 4 inches deeper not 2. Also Axolotls don't grow to there tank. Also if you're considering that it's only 4 inches then you have to consider the fact a 20 long is the same depth as a 10 gallon so they wouldn't have much space to turn around.

Jenste

Reaction score
A 20h is 4 inches deeper not 2. Also Axolotls don't grow to there tank. Also if you're considering that it's only 4 inches then you have to consider the fact a 20 long is the same depth as a 10 gallon so they wouldn't have much space to turn around.

a 10 gallon tank is 20.25 inches long and 10.5 inches deep with a height of 12.5ish
a 20 gallon tall tank is 24.25 inches long and 12.5 inches deep with a height of 16.75.

So like I originally said, a 20 gallon tall is only 4 inches long and 2 inches wider/deeper. Not enough space to fit 2 axolotls.

a 20 gallon long is 30.25 inches long and 12.5 inches deep with a height of 12.75. Much better floor space for 2 axolotls compared to a 20 gallon tall which is 8 inches shorter in length but has the same width/depth.

mikeg

Reaction score
get cloud minnows for sure they will eat all parasites that will grow on ur axolotls gills, also feeder goldfish and guppies shoud be fine( any guppy will be fine but u take the risk of them being eaten) do not put the clams in for many reasons they would catch any part of ur axolotl and get him stuck #1 killer for axolotls in stress and this will stress it out, also they may scrap off the slim on the clams shell opening it to diseases, another thing DO NOT PUT SHRIMP IN UR TANK idc what the people above say they shrimp have a shell that ur axolotl can not digest

hope this helps

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I have to strongly recommend against fish. Any minnows you put in are likely to nibble on gills, causing stress. Feeder fish are often riddled with parasites, and goldfish are high in saturated fat and Vitamin A.

Clams aren't a good idea as, in addition to previously mentioned issues, there isn't enough in the tank to sustain them and they usually die.

Shrimp are fine. Most people use cherry shrimp or ghost shrimp. Their exoskeleton is just as digestible as cricket exoskeleton.

Minniechild

Reaction score
Having done a small tank (thanks, aussie summer), what you're putting yourself up for is a LOT of work, heaps of monitoring and a lot of risk. That being said, if you design the tank with your axies in mind- heaps of hides, plants, good filtration with low turbidity and separate feeding spots, they can be relatively happy in there.
Of course, there is also the issue of T.A.D (Tank addiction syndrome), where you start with one tank and want a larger one, and a larger one, and a larger one... I use myself as a case-in-point- I started with a 20L (What I could get my hands on) when mine were juvies and I was just starting out (Talk about jumping off the deep end!!), then up to the 200L (4ft), and now I'm picking up a 6x2x2ft on Sunday... I'd recommend that you go as large as you can with your tank- you'll save yourself a lot of money, time, and baking cookies as thank yous for the people who help you with each upgrade :D

Also, go shrimp! I've found they work really well with axies at each stage of their lives, are low maintenance, and very fun to keep and watch in their own right :p

LaShanta

Reaction score
Just reading the replies has confused me more. The only thing I am sure of is that I won't do clams. :confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1