Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My First P. Waltl eggs! I need help!

Randall Rock

Reaction score
Hello to all who read this. I very recently purchased three adult P. Waltl. Already I have a multitude of eggs on my plants. I have only my experience in raising and hatching Axolotls. I would like to request any and all bits of information or pointers one would need to know to hatch, rear, and raise the P. Waltl to adulthood. THANKS!!!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can treat the hatchlings just like Axolotl larvae up until they morph, then after that they will usually stay aquatic with minimum fuss, so can be treated as miniature adult waltls, just scale down the size of their food items to suit. A common mistake people make is trying to raise too many babies, unless you have unlimited supplies of Daphnia, Blackworms or similar its best to start with a small group of larvae. Attempting to raise hundreds of them without adequate food availability can cause the whole lot to starve to death, whereas ten or fifteen babies can easily be fed on live food from the petstore without breaking the bank if need be.
Here is a good article from Caudata culture if you haven't seen it already. Good luck! :)

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/raising.shtml

Last edited:

Niels D

Reaction score
If you do have an unlimited supply of Daphnia or other food items I would still suggest not to try to raise too many. If you don't manage to keep them all or sell them to serious enthusiasts, then it would be a shame to see them go to a pet store, where there's a chance that they will have a really bad time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1