HELP! My axie has some kind of infection

Maggietheweird

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yesterday, I changed Kevin's (my axolotl) water in his fridging container and he was absolutely fine as of 9 AM. By 9 PM, his left gills were completely fuzzy and back right leg had turned red and limp. I believe the gills are from a fungal infection, but I don't know what has caused the leg issue. It is now 10 AM, the fuzz has fallen off of his gills on its own, and I found a vet about an hour away that can treat him but they can't take him until tomorrow morning. What can I do for Kevin in the meantime and what is the likelihood of a good recovery? Thank you for any information/assistance that you can provide

Ps I have photos of him but I don't know how to post them with this thread, so I someone can tell me how to do that I can provide images

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 205
Yesterday, I changed Kevin's (my axolotl) water in his fridging container and he was absolutely fine as of 9 AM. By 9 PM, his left gills were completely fuzzy and back right leg had turned red and limp. I believe the gills are from a fungal infection, but I don't know what has caused the leg issue. It is now 10 AM, the fuzz has fallen off of his gills on its own, and I found a vet about an hour away that can treat him but they can't take him until tomorrow morning. What can I do for Kevin in the meantime and what is the likelihood of a good recovery? Thank you for any information/assistance that you can provide

Ps I have photos of him but I don't know how to post them with this thread, so I someone can tell me how to do that I can provide images

Oh my! Is Kevin okay now? My axolotl had the same fuzz thing on his gills and it fell off when I fridged him. Maybe you can amputate his leg because he is probably young enough to regenerate it.. -but don't take my advice 100% I am not a doctor. :

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back